UKC

Fusion2's ???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BallsOfSteel 23 Dec 2012
Hey all,

Been climbing with BD Vipers for the last 4 or so seasons, and they're great tools. Just got a nice X-mas bonus from work, unexpected, so have some liquid collateral to waste, and was considering buying a pair of BD Fusion 2's for funsies.

Big question though, will I really see that much difference in performance? I've recently broken the Hallowed Grade V on mixed, and fancy my chances on some Gr VI stuff later this season, so just wondering if they REALLY make a difference at slightly higher graded stuff? Also keen to get more into dry-tooling, where I would imagine they make a big difference.

Just dont really want to drop £400 on new tools if theyre nae gonna be that much better.

opinions, rants, etc etc all welcome.

Cheers,

BOS
 GraMc 23 Dec 2012
In reply to BallsOfSteel: don't think it would be worth it to be honest, I have a set and whilst they are brilliant on mixed stuff I feel I dont really notice a huge difference Between my fusion 2s and mates less technical tools until about grade VII. also I feel a more important point to make is that fusion 2s really arent particularly fun to climb ice on ( at all!) to the extent that if I was planning to go out on a day of classic Vs on the ben later in the season i would probably rather use my old flys, I think the vipers are a much much better all round tool!.
ice.solo 23 Dec 2012
In reply to BallsOfSteel:

lovely tools. best in category if you ask me, only bettered if you venture into the comp tool scene, or maybe ergos.

beat nomics hands down: more adaptable, more tweakable, no bullshit with add-ons. cheaper in the long run if you want hammers.

lots of small features like easier to clip 2 to a single krab, and just a single bolt thats undoable using the other tools pick.

save yourself $5 replacing the shaft grip too, from that junk petzl use.

nomics are still great, but pipped at the post.
 ColdWill 23 Dec 2012
In reply to BallsOfSteel: I second Ginger on everything he says there, I had a pair but had to get rid of them as they were so sucky on ice, pretty much maybe worse than the original ones. Good for mixed and dry only.
I think Ice is trolling a bit there.
 iksander 23 Dec 2012
In reply to BallsOfSteel: Spend the money on a trip somewhere
OP BallsOfSteel 23 Dec 2012
In reply to iksander:

Cheers guys.....new picks for the Vipers and some other shiny stuff instead it is!

I would take time for a holiday, if I was allowed....being an adult sucks! hahah

BOS
Removed User 23 Dec 2012
In reply to BallsOfSteel: Cobras?
 GarethSL 23 Dec 2012
In reply to ColdWill:
> (In reply to BallsOfSteel) I second Ginger on everything he says there, I had a pair but had to get rid of them as they were so sucky on ice, pretty much maybe worse than the original ones.

Which picks were you using?
 Mr. Lee 23 Dec 2012
In reply to ColdWill:

That's partly why I went for Nomics last year. Fusion 2s are probably better for mixed, Nomics are better at ice. I'd rather be using Nomics on mixed than Fusions on ice though so my conclusion was that Nomics were a better all-rounder.

Generally speaking, I like the fully leashless style of axe because the thumb rest. When I've been really pumped I can assume the middle grip and take weight through my thumb whilst gripping with my fingers. The axes have definitely improved my stamina (although I have been training harder as well!). I should say I am comparing to old-style Quarks, which didn't even have an upper grip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...