UKC

Cheapest wall rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pyrrho101 23 Dec 2012
Looking for a 30m wall rope. Has anyone seen a good deal recently? Thanks.
 Ciro 23 Dec 2012
In reply to pyrrho101:

I'm currently using a simond rope from decathlon for the gym... cheap, seems to be durable, and quite nice handling for the price - I will definitely buy again:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/indoor-rope-102mm-x-35m-id_8176506.html
 Robert Durran 23 Dec 2012
In reply to pyrrho101:
> Looking for a 30m wall rope. Has anyone seen a good deal recently? Thanks.

Buying a short rope for wall use is a false economy. Get a 60m rope and cut a few metres off the ends whenever they become worn. It will give far longer service than buying two 30m ropes and cost less.
 Hewitt 23 Dec 2012
In reply to pyrrho101: http://www.fieldandtrek.com/dmm-shorty-30m-climbing-rope-784299

I even climb outdoor single pitch stuff with this and it does the job nicely
In reply to Hewitt: And you can currently get them even cheaper - £40 http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN168
 Kevster 23 Dec 2012
In reply to pyrrho101:

I bet go outdoors will have some sort of sale on in the new year, also DMM at the outdoor show will have offers going.
In reply to Robert Durran: I am not sure what you do with you ropes indoors but I've always ended up with ropes that are fairly evenly worn across their entire length rather than at the ends. As such I would never gain anything much from starting with a longer rope.

Also, at £40 for a 30metre rope, you would only be saving perhaps £5 max by buying 60metres, since the cheapest price I can see online is about £70.

However, I think the downsides to longer ropes are considerable. I would be continually pissed off with spending extra time pulling it through to top-rope routes at the wall and when swapping ends after falls. They take considerably longer to uncoil and/or backstack. Finally, you massively loose out on not having the flexibility Hewitt mentions of having a short single rope for going cragging.

I think a short single is one of the most useful and best value bits of equipment you can get.
 lithos 23 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

agree - i have a 40m wall rope i use at crags and have used on MP in lakes.
(as well as a 70m forren sport rope)
 SARS 23 Dec 2012

Agreed. Short, fat, basic rope for indoors where it is likely to see plenty of falls and abuse. Likewise, I wouldn't want to be constantly messing around with a 60m+ rope indoors.

70m, thinner, dry-treated quality rope for outdoors.
 jwa 23 Dec 2012
>I am not sure what you do with you ropes indoors but I've always ended up with ropes that are fairly evenly worn across their entire length rather than at the ends.

I use my ropes indoors and out so can't specify how it happens but I've had to cut a few inches off one rope and reseal the other when the factory finish has degraded for whatever reason.
 Robert Durran 24 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Robert Durran) I am not sure what you do with you ropes indoors but I've always ended up with ropes that are fairly evenly worn across their entire length rather than at the ends.

Do you never dog or fall?

> Also, at £40 for a 30metre rope, you would only be saving perhaps £5 max by buying 60metres.

That's not the point.

> However, I think the downsides to longer ropes are considerable.

Negligible compared to finanacial saving imo.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...