UKC

Camping Stove recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Blastbar 23 Dec 2012
So, I've been told I have £50 to play with for a christmas present from a relative.
To complete my basic range of kit, what I'm really after is a stove. All year round usage with trips planned north-bound and Alpine dreams next year it would be nice to have one that works in the cold efficiently too. Do I get a £50 stove and save for a decent titanium pot or try and get both in the allotted price range?
Any recommendations appreciated! Thanks.
In reply to Blastbar: Tricky question.

The best gas stove in terms of weight and cold weather performance is easily the MSR WindPro, unfortunately it is also the most expensive. Other than that, I'd look at the Primus Express Spider.

If you are thinking about a canister mount stove then that is an area I would say it is worth saving money on. The cheap £10 stove I currently have performs no differently to a MSR Pocket Rocket at three times the price.
 wilkie14c 24 Dec 2012
In reply to Blastbar:
I think your choice is down to 2, add a bit more cash to the pile and get the jetboil or get the pocket rocket. Do you want to cook or just boil water? I've both and could easily live with just one, either or. The jetboil is like having a kettle in your rucksac, fast and easy, not the lightest and has limitations but for sheer speed its great. You food options fall down though you have either boil in the bag or instant stuff. The pocket rocket is far more versitile in that there is far more control over the flame and which pot you use.
For making brews while cragging and the odd bivvy you'll not go far wrong with a JB
needvert 24 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

Got both a jetboil sol and a pocket rocket.

Sol came with an adapter so one can use any pot/pan with it, flame can be controled over a wide range too.

I have an XGK too...But hardly use it. Will keep it around for the world is ending situations. Good stove, but is hard to not burn anything but water and its relatively big and heavy.
 wilkie14c 24 Dec 2012
In reply to needvert:
My jetboil is one of the very first originals and its still going strong and still has the original ignighter <weak spot on these early ones> My mate who rowed the atlantic solo a few years back was given 3 jetboils by Lyon equipt for the row months at sea> and he broke the ignigter off one but that was the only problem he ever had in constant salt air enviroment which I think is a great tesstiment for the built quality. You just have to plan your meals around boiling water and for the odd night away its no biggie, I normally take a dried readymeal from cotswolds or a couple of snak pots, cup noodle type things.
ice.solo 24 Dec 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

yep. tho ive changed the pots, still using an original burner unit/igniter. hasnt missed a light up in easily 600 usesd, most 'more-than-oncers' would be maybe 10 times, always at very cold temps (-20c type stuff), even then got it by the third or fourth go.

more telling is the abuse from being jammed in packs, dropped, carted on transport. impressive.
definitely worth a bit more from your own pocket.

that said, if youre really in the market, the soto muka is the future. expensive, but powerful, nice to use, light and efficient. over about 4 days and 4 people it beats the jetboil for size/fuel, but not safety.

ive become a stove nerd, i admit it.
 LennyJ1 24 Dec 2012
In reply to Blastbar: I would also spend that money on a jetboil. If your worried about weight add alittle extra and go for the Ti but if not the SOL is a great all in one
 Trangia 24 Dec 2012
In reply to Blastbar:

Gas adapted Trangia. A little on the bulky side, but makes up for it with ease and speed of cooking even in a gale. Perfect for two. You can also revert to the meths option where you can't get gas.

Butane/protane gas mix works ok in the cold, particularly with the flexible hose which allows you to pop the cylinder on top of the pan to keep it warm and the pressure up.

Blastbar 24 Dec 2012
Thanks for the info so far folks, I didn't like jetboils but if I can find one with the adapter for pans etc. Then it will come down to that or the MSR Windpro! Thanks again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...