UKC

Winter gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Zoe_17 26 Dec 2012
Does any one know of any winter waterproof gloves that are good for mountaineering and climbing similar to rab guide gloves in the price range of £60 or less

Any help appreciated cheers
 Camm 26 Dec 2012
In reply to Zoe Langford:
If you're using a axe/s then SKYTEC Argon work gloves are really good apparently, and very cheap, haven't had chance to try mine out but I know 2 people that swear by them and quite a lot of people on here use them.

If not then montane mitts are warm, light weight and waterproof.
 Baron Weasel 26 Dec 2012
In reply to Zoe Langford: I have tried loads of gloves and always had issues with very cold hands... got a tip about winter work gloves that you can get very cheap from Mr Bricolage in Chamonix and got two pairs and they are really good.

After a bit of searching I have an Ebay supplier for you.

e b a y .co.uk/itm/Venitex-Fur-Lined-Leather-Ski-Gloves-Mens-Ladies-Work-Wear-Winter-Cold-Driving-/220934764016

You will have to add www and remove spaces as it wouldn't let me post web address fully.

BW
 abh 26 Dec 2012
In reply to danrock101:

Hi Zoe, there have a few threads about winter gloves on here.....

As a result I purchased a pair of skytech argon gloves, and found them to be absolutely fantastic. They don't look that trendy, but have just used them for two days in Glencoe..really good. In fact, I'm going to buy another pair just in case....

Cheers
 Nic DW 28 Dec 2012

Dachstein mitts are fantastic, cheap, and not technically waterproof. Except that they keep your hands drier and warmer then any "waterproof" glove i have ever owned (which is lots). I didn't believe it until i tried them...

There 1/3 of the price of decent ice climbing gloves and work better, cant recommend them enough. I have never tried the glove version (but am tempted too).

If you do fall into the trap of buying modern gore-tex or similar gloves then make sure you get a good deal, one usually can and they arn't worth nearly there often excessive RRP

Another very good piece of advice i would give is don't go winter climbing with less then 2 (preferably 3) pairs of gloves 'cos they will end up soggy and if you don't have a spare set your hands will freeze!

If you want cheap gore-tex gloves Go-outdoor are advertising extremeties ice-gauntlets for £25 (RRP £85), but don't buy them, buy dachsteins
 KellyKettle 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Nic DW: Agreed, Dachsteins are amazing!

As as a system I tend to have a couple of pairs of the skytech argon (thin sticky gloves) in my pocket in case i'm going to be climbing with my hands directly or doing anything dexterous; then the Dachstein Mitts on my hands.

I was going to.get some waterproof over mitts for when i'm in wet slushy snow or on ice that's dripping wet; but a friend suggested oiling or waxing the mitts directly to increase their water repellancy enough to cope with all but direct immersion... I keep meaning to try it, but i also have ME Guide gloves somewhere for that kind of situation, its just been so long since I used them instead of the dachsteins that I don't even know where they are.
 iksander 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Zoe Langford: Assuming you mean for the UK as opposed to anything higher/ colder

Don't focus on "waterproof" too much, as one way or other your gloves will probably get soaked anyway and ironically non-waterproof gloves dry out much quicker.

I would suggest going for a "system" of 3 gloves rather than one set of gloves, something like:

You'll probably get quite warm during the walk in. Get some thin liner gloves - silk or meraklon for less than £10 for the walk in and gearing up.

Get some pile lined softshell gloves for climbing in. These are warm when wet, dextrous and dry out quickly. eg Outdoor Reasearch Extravert or Mountain Equipment Randonee (£25-£45)

Keep the windchill off your hands when stopped. Get some shell mitts to bung over the top when belaying eg Decathalon Boost Heat mitts £8 or Buffalo mitts £20

Wrap a drink bottle full of your favourite warm drink in your belay mitts so they're nice and toasty when you stop.

Keeping your hands warm is more than a consideration of gloves - keep hydrated, eat plenty of calories (try hot choc with double cream or butter, eat cheese, salami etc) and keep your core warm and dry and keep moving when stopped.
 Roberttaylor 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Zoe Langford: Another vote for Dachstein mitts and Buffalo mitts but bear in mind that Buffalo mitts are not really robust enough to climb with and that carrying an ice axe in a dachstein mitt (as when walking) does tend to wear it down after a while.

This should go without saying but whatever you choose to use, sew in idiot loops. It will save you money and stress, the number of times I have seen friends drop gloves.

R
 jas wood 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Zoe Langford: i would add if your only buying one pair of gloves and not planning on climbing hard mixed for the forerseeable future i'd get the dachstiens ands a few quid liner glove.
 GridNorth 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Zoe Langford: I can't imagine climbing technical ice climbs in Dachsteins or any other mitt for that matter. I wouldn't be keen on anybody seconding me in them either it must increase the chances of dropping a screw by an order of magnitude. I agree about their properties for the price however. I would be interested to hear of any experiences of Dachstein type gloves although I would have thought that the would suffer from the same weakness as other gloves i.e. each finger has to be individually insulated so not as effective as a mitten.
 KellyKettle 28 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth:
> (In reply to Zoe Langford) I can't imagine climbing technical ice climbs in Dachsteins or any other mitt for that matter. I wouldn't be keen on anybody seconding me in them either it must increase the chances of dropping a screw by an order of magnitude.

I've never found it a problem, I guess it's all about what you get used to...

It does definately help to loop a bit of paracord with one of the non-rated alpkit wiregates on it to my harness, as the gear equivalent of idiot loops.
 Milesy 28 Dec 2012
I find leading in Dachsteins a total faff now. End up having to take them off all the time and getting stupidly cold.
Flat4matt 31 Dec 2012

Hiw do the dachsteins come size wise? Im about a size 9 hand or large normally but would want the steins abit bigger as id have some merino liners and wrist warmers underneath.
Any help would be appreciated
Cheers
Matt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...