UKC

BIG Foot Mountaineer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baron Weasel 26 Dec 2012
Having issues with my size 13 AKU winter boots in that they are just a bit too small as I think my arches are falling. I have been shopping around but cannot find any B2 boots that are bigger, not too heavy and not toooo pricy.

What are other big footed mountaineers using?

BW
 richprideaux 26 Dec 2012
In reply to Baron Weasel:

La Sportiva and Scarpa. Size 47/48 in B1, 2 and 3...
 KellyKettle 26 Dec 2012
In reply to Baron Weasel: I use Beghaus Kibo's and Scarpa Cumbre's. The Kibo is quite generously sized and stiff for it's B2 rating, not the most precise tool though, more of a blunt instrument.

I've found myself wearing anywhere from an 11½ to a 13 depending on the manufacturer...
OP Baron Weasel 27 Dec 2012
In reply to richprideaux:
> (In reply to Baron Weasel)
>
> La Sportiva and Scarpa. Size 47/48 in B1, 2 and 3...

I need bigger than a 48...

BW
 Siward 27 Dec 2012

Nepal extremes go up to size 50 euro. I'm not sure that they fulfil your price demands though but, hey, the old adage holds true that a pair of winter boots should cost a week's wages.

Meindl also do a range of boots some of which go up to a UK size 17.

http://www.meindl.co.uk/products/Walking_and_Hiking/Mens_Boots
 KellyKettle 27 Dec 2012
> (In reply to richprideaux)
> [...]
>
> I need bigger than a 48...
>
> BW

In that case then as well as the Nepal Extrem/Evo from Sportiva in 49/50 (UK 13½/14?) then Lowa make their Civetta and Civetta Extreme plastic double boots in sizes up to US 16 (UK 15ish?) and their Weisshorn boot up to 14.

And that pretty much concludes your options... Unless you can find a skilled cobbler to knock you up a pair of boots round a modern mountaineering sole unit.

Pritchard 27 Dec 2012

If your arches are falling, why not seek out the services of a Podiatrist and get some insoles to support your foot? Certainly a cheaper option than a new pair of Nepal Extremes and if they have collapsed and you ignore it, you will likely develop joint problems.

Craig.
 nw 27 Dec 2012
I am a size 13. Spent the last three seasons trying to find replacements for my winter boots that weren't Nepal Extremes (expensive, and then extra expensive for being big.Failed. Gave in this year and bought some. Couldn't find big Lowas in the UK , although I know they make them. I really don't understand why it's so difficult - 13 is big but not freakishly big, and see you plenty of big lads out on the hill. Grumble grumble.
 Simon Preuss 27 Dec 2012
In reply to nw:
I did pretty much exactly the same - was after some B2 boots, as my B1s had proven a bit bendy in the Alps. Considered B3s to be overkill but couldn't find any B2 that fit me properly.

Just about convinced myself to splash out and get Nepal extremes as they fit me well, but then the extra £50 for size 49 was sprung on me!

Finally bit the bullet and bought them a couple of months later. Justified it to myself with the fact that they should cover me for just about everything I am likely to do in mountaineering and should last a long time.
In reply to Simon Preuss: Thanks for the replies.

The thing that always put me off Nepal Extremes is the weight. It would feel like a step backwards to have a pair of boots that weighed more than my current ones.

Out of interest - what do a pair of nepal extremes weigh in a size 49? My AKU Edge weigh 2.3kg a pair in a size 48.

BW
In reply to Pritchard: I know exactly what you are saying - I have sold mountaineering boots myself, but it is normal to increase slightly in size due to falling arches as you get older and I think my issue is normal ageing. I have been teaching myself to not land on my heels, but to land on the balls of my feet like minimalist runners do which has sorted out both back and knee issues and helps with the issue of falling arches - but it has not stopped the fact that my feet ares slightly longer than they were 5 years ago...

BW
 Simon Preuss 27 Dec 2012
I'm afraid I'm nowhere`near my boots at the moment and so I can't weigh them for you - they are waiting for me to join in a hostel in Fort William, 1800 miles, two flights and a train journey away.

They are quite hefty though. I'm not quite sure what size of boots La Sportiva's list weight of 2.25kg is for, but it's bound to be more than that.
 Damo 28 Dec 2012

http://www.altberg.co.uk/fitting/made-to-measure/

I had a pair of Altberg Mallerstangs a few years ago. They ended up being too narrow/tight (my fault) but they are very well made boots, the equivalent of Scarpa etc from what I have seen.
 t_hume 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Baron Weasel: According to my mum's kitchen scales, a pair of 49 Extremes weigh in at 2.9kg.

I'm enjoying this thread. I feel alot less like a lanky freak as it appears I'm in the same boat as everyone else.

I have heard that Scarpa Phantom 6000s (?) go up to a 49 but they're silly money.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...