UKC

Ian Hill RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Alcock 27 Dec 2012
I thought some of you might want to know that one-time Bristol bouldering guru Ian Hill died on Christmas Eve. Ian had a pancreatic transplant three months ago which he hoped would transform his life, but unfortunately he developed complications and had to be re-admitted to hospital. His condition deteriorated and he couldn't be saved.

Ian was a central figure on the Bristol bouldering scene for many years. He was hugely supportive and encouraging to me personally and many other climbers based at UCR. He frequently helped me believe I could do problems that I had thought were impossible. He played a key role in developing the local competition scene. Ian was also an award-winning photographer and and in later years an expert Lindy Hopper.

Mooncat 27 Dec 2012
In reply to John Alcock:

I had no idea he'd been ill, I met Ian a few times, always seemed like a really good bloke.

RIP Ian.
In reply to John Alcock: That's very sad. I haven't seen Ian since I left Bristol 12 years ago but we knew each other from the Gorge in his climbing days and St Werburgs when he seemed to concentrate much more on bouldering where he could burn me and most others off, no trouble.

Al
 Boogs 27 Dec 2012
In reply to John Alcock:

8O{ Condolences John .

Leon
Removed User 27 Dec 2012
In reply to John Alcock:

Really very sad to hear this, Ian was a good friend and will be missed.
 Tiggs 27 Dec 2012
In reply to John Alcock

Oh No! Ian was one of the first people to encourage me to climb. I can't quite take this in. Rest in peace in the arms of the angels Ian.
 Rubbishy 27 Dec 2012
In reply to John Alcock:

I only met him a few times - he was a lovely and self effacing guy. Very sad.
 Skyfall 27 Dec 2012
I didn't know him but didn't he take some great climbing photos too?
 PontiusPirate 27 Dec 2012
In reply to John Alcock:

Very sad to hear this

Only met him a couple of times - quiet and enormously talented at both photography and climbing (and dancing by the sounds of things!)

Condolences to those close to him.

PP
 Dominion 27 Dec 2012
In reply to John Alcock:

Sorry to hear that.

I only knew Ian through this forum, and because of his photographs that he published here, but Rest in Peace, Ian.

Simon 27 Dec 2012
In reply to John Alcock:

so sorry to hear this news, we worked on various projects and he was always gracious, polite and giving, such a sad loss, but we can look on his legacy with fondness, a smile...
 Jus 27 Dec 2012
In reply to John Alcock:

So sorry to hear this. I only knew him through the forum many years ago. Really nice guy.
 Stuart S 28 Dec 2012
In reply to John Alcock:

So sad to hear Ian's gone. It's a long time since I last climbed with him, but I remember him as a very friendly, modest bloke (he told me off for describing him as a "visiting Bristol powerhouse" in a write-up I did about him making some hard first ascents when he visited the Aberdeen area). He also gave me some great advice and recommendations before my first visit to Bishop. Rest in peace, Ian.
Ben_SteepEdge 28 Dec 2012
In reply to John Alcock:

Rest in Peace Ian. We climbed together a few times via the forum many years ago. A really nice guy and talented photographer.

Ben Tye
In reply to Ben_SteepEdge: So sad to hear this, I knew Ian from the UCR comp scene in the 90's and early 00's. Nice bloke, real shame.
 Mark Stevenson 29 Dec 2012
In reply to John Alcock: Very sad news to end the year.

Like many other British climbers I was acquainted with Ian. We meet several times, via mutual UKC friends, around 9 years ago.

Our meetings may have been fleeting but I still have fond memories of an afternoon at Cratcliffe where he was the epitome of everything one could ask for in a climbing companion - knowledgeable, enthusiastic, supportive and generous.

I cannot think of another climber more generous with their time or unstinting with their enthusiasm than Ian.

We are the poorer for his passing.
In reply to John Alcock: Sad news indeed. I have a superb photo on my wall here taken by Ian from one of the good old days on Dartmoor. He could be a true obsessive at times, but quite the visionary, all very handy for finding gnarly hidden gems amongst the granite. Rest in peace.
 Xavierpercy 01 Jan 2013
In reply to John Alcock: I am sad to hear about Ian's death. He was awesomely strong when he bouldered and gentle, kind and very modest. Rest in Peace.
 TobyA 03 Jan 2013
In reply to John Alcock: Sad to hear of Ian's passing. I don't think he's been on UKC for years, but he was one of the stalwart old school crew from a decade or so ago who I remember well from when UKC/Rocktalk/Rockfax/Jagged Globe/etc. were all evolving towards what UKC now is. I remember the excitement here on Ian winning a national photography award for one of his bouldering shots. UKC was a smaller place then, so it really felt like someone in 'our club' had done something really cool! I will, though, forever blame him for being the photographer who launched ten thousand images of a boulderer's chalky hand stretching out of an out of focus mid-ground! I never met him in person, but he was always a friendly, helpful and fun presence here on the forums.

My thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP Ian.

Toby_W 03 Jan 2013
In reply to John Alcock:

How sad, he took some great triathlon shots as well as his climbing ones and was a lovely guy.

Cheers

Toby
OP John Alcock 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:
Pete Phillips is organising a drink in Ian's memory at the Miners next to UCR on Saturday January 26th. Everyone is welcome.
 tombeasley 04 Jan 2013
In reply to John Alcock: Sad news I remember Ian from his occasional appearance at the ouldering comps in Gloucester, fond memories of a strong local bouldering legend.
 CurlyStevo 04 Jan 2013
In reply to John Alcock:
I met Ian a few times when I lived in Bristol. Sad news. RIP Ian.
olliep 05 Jan 2013
In reply to John Alcock:

in later years, Ian became a great fan of swing dancing. His Lindy Hop friends are holding a memorial to him, and you are all very welcome to attend, if you wish.

https://www.facebook.com/events/403899026359232/
 Sam Mayfield 05 Jan 2013
In reply to John Alcock:
So sad we didn't know he was ill. Sadly missed Rich and Sam
James Jackson 05 Jan 2013
In reply to John Alcock:

I'm another who met Ian through the Bristol scene, sometime around 2003. What people have said so far rings true - enthusiastic, helpful and just a good bloke.

Lasting advice from him for me was that he pointed me up my first E1, and my first E3. I also remember something he said to me after some friends and I had had a bit of an epic of a day: "These are really the formative years of your life, and you appear to be doing rather well!".

A sad loss, and condolences to his family. Unfortunately, being in another country, I don't think I'll be able to make the drinks at the end of the month, so please raise a glass in my absence.
 shaggypops 06 Jan 2013
In reply to John Alcock: around 1992 or 93 on my 3 or 4 times a week drive up the m5 to Undercover Rock (a newbie bitten by the climbing bug) I was often on my own loitering on the outskirts of the boulderers. One man stood out, a pale complexioned often topless man with glasses wearing Lycra leggings and if I'm not mistaken in Anasazi Moccasyms. He quite often had a stick and would be touching it on holds for others to follow the circuit he was guiding them through as well as being guided through ridiculously hard circuits himself.I would watch and say to myself " if only I could climb like him." Anyhow what I will remember, is that this man took the time to approach and give a total stranger with limited ability to scale the woody some much needed advice and encouragement on many occasions. This man made me want to return again and again and again.
This wonderful man was Ian Hill.....may he Rest Forever in Peace

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...