UKC

equipment for travelling asia...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bryn keating 27 Dec 2012
I need a couple of bits of advice please...
firstly, im going travelling around south east asia, then over to india and nepal. When in nepal ill be heading into the himalayas. The question is this, what will I do about equipment i.e. down jacket etc as i dont want to carry this around in tropical climate.
secondly, do i take sleeping bag liner and mosquito net??
 mattc 27 Dec 2012
In reply to bryn keating: Silk sleaping bag liner 100%.
ice.solo 27 Dec 2012
In reply to bryn keating:

liner and net depends on how grotty you will be going. if youre staying in local huts in remote areas they will be worth it. in most cases a fan will be better for bugs.

down jacket: just buy a cheap one in thamel then give it to a porter on the way out.
Wonko The Sane 27 Dec 2012
In reply to bryn keating: I haven't been travelling for years, but used to use Post Restante. Does it still exist? It did in SE Asia 20 years ago.
 tom84 27 Dec 2012

a serious sense of humour.
rtwilli4 28 Dec 2012

You can store bags at hotels in Bangkok for a pretty reasonable price (less than a pound a day I think). I've done it loads of times - never had any problems. I recommend the Wild Orchid near Th Khosan.
OP bryn keating 28 Dec 2012
In reply to bryn keating: thanks for the replies folks. will be goin fairly grotty i reckon so from what i hear, liner is way forward. any recommendations on brands?
 Cheese Monkey 28 Dec 2012
In reply to bryn keating: Bag liner is a good idea, but in the majority of towns there are numerous cheap hotels/guesthouses so you can look around. In my experience the majority are pretty clean - the sheets at least. Liner definitely useful for refrigerated buses and Indian trains. Leave the mosquito net, needed ours very rarely, and can get good ones out there for much cheaper. Best bringing a roll of tape to fix them though. Buy and then give away a fake North Face down jacket and sleeping bag in KTM, its the done thing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...