/ bike trekking in asia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bryn keating - on 27 Dec 2012
Can anyone recommend a great route for a bike trek in south east asia and maybe an itinerary to consider and get my creative planning juices flowing!?
jolivague - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to bryn keating:

Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi
ice.solo - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to bryn keating:

depends what you defines as SE asia.

northern laos is made for such things; phongsali to udomxai, boten on the chinese border down along the mekong to huay xai, dozens of routes around namtha.
in laos, almost any road not going east-west is still unsealed - tho the chinese are changing that fast.
awesomely, in some places you can chuck your bike on a boat for stretches too.
or theres the thai-myanmar border areas between tak and mae hon song. south of mae sot theres all sorts of off-roads, many leading into myanmar (a little sketchy but what the hey).

if SEA includes yunnan theres endless stuff out froom jinghong, thru xishuanbanna, all the way into the tibetan foothills and down along the myanmar/laos borders.

if youre totally into the region NE india - assam and arunachal have endless unvisited areas with dirt roads going into mountains. needs permits to go beyond assam, but a real frontier.
bryn keating - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to bryn keating: this is exactly what i was looking for, will be getting the maps out this evening when i get home. south east asia, for me, will be thailand, laos, vietnam, cambodia and down as far as indonesia. won't be venturing into china i dont think. thanks for much for advice!!
bryn keating - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to ice.solo: can you give me advice on how to rent a bike when im out there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.