UKC

Worst films ever

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Having a lazy morning in bed, I found Swinging With The Finkels on Sky Movies and curious, my wife and I decided to watch it.

All I can say is that I dont think I have ever watched such a plss poor film. An hour of my life that I will never, ever get back.

I wonder, has anyone seen a film of train crash proportions? If not, i claim my £5.00. Actually, make that £10 as £5 isnt recompense enough for enduring this rot.
 ThunderCat 28 Dec 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

On the advice of a previous thread on this topic, I went and looked up "Samurai Cop" on youtube.

Sweet Jesus....So cringingly bad, it's actually good.
johnj 28 Dec 2012

I remember this one as been pretty shocking

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098320/
Wonko The Sane 28 Dec 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Shoot 'em up. Clive Owen is in it, which is a bad sign. It's so terrible that I have so far only watched about 30 minutes of it, and that is spread out over the 5 or 6 times it's been aired.
estivoautumnal 28 Dec 2012

Lord of the Rings.
 homing-penguin 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane: Shoot em up was awesome!! It's one massive long gun battle with puns.

Notting Hill is probably the worst film I've ever seen.

Actually no Harry Potter.
In reply to homing-penguin:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane) Shoot em up was awesome!! It's one massive long gun battle with puns.
>
> The script was fine! The problem was, they used British Acting Robot Mk1

homing-penguin 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane: lol
 Jon Stewart 28 Dec 2012

Clown-rape comedy anyone?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120467/

Spectacularly misjudged.
 colina 28 Dec 2012
deep blue sea,blue water and snakes on a plane get my vote.
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: The bar on this is set quite high. Any film wishing to take the crown has to be worse than Eraserhead.

T.
 1poundSOCKS 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Pursued by a bear: I love that film, even had a friend in the US buy it from a US only website, and post it to me, just so I could get the widescreen version. I love pretty much all David Lynch films though.
 1poundSOCKS 28 Dec 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Not sure about worst ever, but worst I've seen for a good while...

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1703148/
 yeti 28 Dec 2012

Knight and day's pretty crap and i only saw part of it

starship troopers is one of the worst i've watched to the end

cloverfield, disliked the cast so much i was cheering the monster

In reply to Pursued by a bear: What! Eraserhead is a great film although I agree its a bit of love or hate.

Better watched whilst heavily stoned.
In reply to yeti:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
>
> starship troopers is one of the worst i've watched to the end
>

Oh come on. This film is classic entertainment! Guns, monsters, a cute redhead and a tongue stuck very firmly in cheek.

> cloverfield, disliked the cast so much i was cheering the monster

I couldn't get past 10 minutes of this dross.

In reply to yeti:

I think this has be seperated into:

A) Worst Film watched

and

B)Worst Film I paid to watch!

A = One with Kate Hudson and someone stealing her BF. Probably caused by watching it on about 10 buses in South America, at least 7 of them in Spanish

B = Just Married 4 couples in cinema. 2 left within 10mins, 1 guy sat on the floor and looked at teh back ofthe cinema while his GF coniunued to watch and I spent the time trying to tie my shoeaces without using my hands
 yeti 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:

i accept starship poopers could have been a good shoot em up, but it wants to be futuristic but fails to use the many more efficient weapons that we have now
In reply to yeti:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane)
>
> i accept starship poopers could have been a good shoot em up, but it wants to be futuristic but fails to use the many more efficient weapons that we have now

Sorry, but in a film where there are mutant spiders pooping out space fireballs, I just can't bring myself to fault them for not using better weapons!
The entire point of the battles was marines pointlessly throwing themselves into the line of fire. Last one shot is a wuss type mentality.
 yeti 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:

aye, i can hardly complain, it's set in a barking mad universe so nothing should look out of place

yeti 28 Dec 2012

also ... most films with 4 or more oscars

may i offer "driving miss daisy"

starts, goes nowhere, ends
 terrarob 28 Dec 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Nichiolas Cage's version of the Wickerman! Part of my life i will never get back!
In reply to robric: On the subject of ill-advised remakes, I have never seen the film version of Edge of Darkness as I thought I'd be wasting my time and it wouldn't compare to the original, which I hold in high regard. Anyone seen it and want to comment?

T.
 moac 28 Dec 2012
"Hamilton is Out", starring Richard Burton.
 shaymarriott 28 Dec 2012

Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus is pretty bad, so is Sharktopus. Worth YouTube-ing though, for lolz.
 moac 28 Dec 2012
"Hamilton is Out", starring Richard Burton
should read,
"Hammersmith is Out", starring Richard Burton
Daithi O Murchu 29 Dec 2012

Waterloo with Marlon Brando and Christopher plummer is right up there
In reply to Daithi O Murchu:
>
> Waterloo with Marlon Brando and Christopher plummer is right up there

Christopher Plummer actually does a good job; it's Rod Steiger (in the role of Napoleon) who is definitely well below par. Brando isn't in the movie. But it's churlish to damn Waterloo as one of the 'worst films ever' because the battle scenes by Bondarchuk are stupendous.

General Lee 29 Dec 2012

More of the type of so bad you should see them are:

1, Nude nuns with big guns
2, Hobo with a shotgun
Wonko The Sane 29 Dec 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: I've let this thread run long enough.

If you do get too bored to watch all the way through, please do go to 1:30sec where you'll be treated to the best film opening song in the world, ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=Wfm3_BMinhg&
 deepsoup 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> Christopher Plummer actually does a good job

He stars (with Caroline Munro and the mighty Hoff) in a world class "so bad it's good" movie. Starcrash (1979) - astonishingly, I mean really amazingly bad Star Wars wannabe:
youtube.com/watch?v=pzfuNSpP0RA&

My nomination for worst film ever (I'm sure I've said this before): Wild Wild West (with Will Smith & Kevin Cline). It isn't so bad it's good, its just bad with no redeeming features whatsoever. It's still the only time I've ever paid money to go to the cinema and failed to sit through to the end of the film.
Tim Chappell 29 Dec 2012
Any film made by David Lean. Particularly Lawrence of Arabia, though Passage to India is scrotum-tighteningly dreadful too.

Typical Lean-type film scenario: Epically portentous musical bombast, pretty pretty pictures, dialogue so wooden it's got wooden bits on its woodenness, slow slow SLOW acting, and then nothing happens. For hours on end.
Tim Chappell 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Oh, and whatever anyone tells you: Taxi Driver is terrible. And so is Withnail and I
 sbc_10 29 Dec 2012
In reply to deepsoup:

Starcrash (1979) -

What a beaut !!

I think most of the 'actors' would delete this from their CV's if they could.
Watching this trailer I got feelings of 'Clash of the Titans','Zardoz','Lost World', 'Sinbad' etc... I suppose a good storyline can be modified for whichever genre (ahem!), but it looks less convincing than The Clangers in terms of visual FX.

Caroline Munro might be worthy of a bit internet research I feel, let me see now .........

Bulls Crack 29 Dec 2012
> Any film made by David Lean. Particularly Lawrence of Arabia, though Passage to India is scrotum-tighteningly dreadful too.
>
Really? I mean really? Worst films ever? You may not like them but....

In reply to General Lee:
>
> More of the type of so bad you should see them are:
>
> 1, Nude nuns with big guns

I havent seen this movie but with a title like that, it cant be that bad, can it? Ill look this one up.

I thin the only film that I have ever paid to go and see at the cinema but walked out before the end was Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Deary me.

paul-1970 29 Dec 2012
> Any film made by David Lean.

!!!
'Great Expectations'? 'Brief Encounter'? 'Oliver Twist'? 'Bridge on the River Kwai'? Doctor 'Zhivago'?
'Laurence of Arabia' really needs to be seen at a cinema to enjoy the immensity. True, it doesn't rattle along like a Steven Seagull film, but if that's your bag then I think you walked into the wrong room in the multiplex.

One could be forgiven for cynically thinking you're being a little wilfully controversial, Tim.
 paul-1970 29 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
>
>
> Oh, and whatever anyone tells you: Taxi Driver is terrible. And so is Withnail and I

Interesting you mention these two; both are examples of enjoying acting or performance over the storyline. The arc of the pieces depend on how you engage or are repulsed by your reaction and interest in the character(s). True that the first moves slowly, and the latter moves in hardly a great direction. But both have performances by characters that move you, make you interested in what occurs - and lives in the memory for a long time after. To be rather pompous, both are closer to theatre than cinema.

And I read an interview with De Niro last Sunday. Yes, he still gets stopped in the street by people asking him "You talkin' to me?"

Removed User 29 Dec 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Amazed nobody has nominated "Plan 9 from outer space" yet (or any other Ed Wood opus-Glen or Glenda, The Ghoul goes West, Jailbait etc-spectacularly consistent rubbish throughout)
Tim Chappell 29 Dec 2012
In reply to paul-1970:

>
> One could be forgiven for cynically thinking you're being a little wilfully controversial, Tim.

Wilfully controversial? Moi?

I admit it, I was born stirring
Tim Chappell 29 Dec 2012
In reply to paul-1970:

"You talkin' to me?"

Brilliant line. Terrible movie

Bulls Crack 29 Dec 2012
In reply to homing-penguin:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane) Shoot em up was awesome!! It's one massive long gun battle with puns.
>
> Notting Hill is probably the worst film I've ever seen.
>
You must have lived a very sheltered film life is all I can say!

Tim Chappell 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I'm the one who thinks, in all seriousness, that The Sound of Music is a far better movie than Reservoir Dogs.

Am I controversial or what?
> Any film made by David Lean. Particularly Lawrence of Arabia, though Passage to India is scrotum-tighteningly dreadful too.
>
> Typical Lean-type film scenario: Epically portentous musical bombast, pretty pretty pictures, dialogue so wooden it's got wooden bits on its woodenness, slow slow SLOW acting, and then nothing happens. For hours on end.

What shameful tripe you utter. What is astonishing about Lawrence of Arabia is the levity, subtlety and wit of the script (dark, satirical and funny) ... and just about everything else about it. I would go as far as saying it's the highest point of British cinema.

When did you last see the movie?

Passage to India was only dreadful because the screenplay stuck far too faithfully to the epic structure of the novel, which was totally uncinematic in shape.

In time David Lean's preeminent stature in the British cinema will be fully appreciated, I think.
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
>
>
> I'm the one who thinks, in all seriousness, that The Sound of Music is a far better movie than Reservoir Dogs.
>
> Am I controversial or what?

You seem to be revelling in your (presumably drink-fuelled) contrariness, Tim. But how can anyone take you seriously now on the basis of this thread?

Tim Chappell 29 Dec 2012
> (
But how can anyone take you seriously now on the basis of this thread?

Weeeeeeeeeeelll Gordon, a lot of people still take you seriously, despite all the stuff you've come out with.

I mean it, though, and stone-cold sober: The Sound of Music is not a very good movie, but it's certainly better than anything Tarantino's produced. That view may not be terribly cool or trendy, but then, who gives a damn about cool and trendy?
 Bulls Crack 29 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
>
>
> I'm the one who thinks, in all seriousness, that The Sound of Music is a far better movie than Reservoir Dogs.
>
> Am I controversial or what?

Chalk and cheese - which is better?
Tim Chappell 29 Dec 2012
> [...]
>
> What shameful tripe you utter.

You've clearly appointed yourself Official Guardian of Received (but Wrong) Opinion. Fine, carry on, no one's listening
Tim Chappell 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> [...]
>
> Chalk and cheese - which is better?

Would you rather be chalked up, or overload on the cheese?

I'm not a 'guardian' of anything. But Bulls Crack has hit the nail on the head. One of the great joys of the cinema, as with all other art forms, is that there is an almost infinite range of genres, and that unlike can never be compared with unlike. All that matters to me is how well a film works in the world it sets up, and that it entertains, and gives you something extra (relating to core issues of life), such that you will carry on thinking and talking about it long after you've seen it.

PS. It also has to be a superbly crafted work of art.
Tim Chappell 29 Dec 2012
>
> I'm not a 'guardian' of anything. But Bulls Crack has hit the nail on the head. One of the great joys of the cinema, as with all other art forms, is that there is an almost infinite range of genres, and that unlike can never be compared with unlike. All that matters to me is how well a film works in the world it sets up, and that it entertains, and gives you something extra (relating to core issues of life), such that you will carry on thinking and talking about it long after you've seen it.

All this I agree with. Still. Lawrence of Arabia is unwatchably terrible, and so is Passage to India.

Tim Chappell 29 Dec 2012
>
> PS. It also has to be a superbly crafted work of art.

Actually I think the evidence tells against that one. A lot of the most enjoyable films are deeply throwaway.

> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
> [...]
>
>
> All this I agree with. Still. Lawrence of Arabia is unwatchably terrible, and so is Passage to India.

L of A is one of the longest films ever made, but it keeps you held from the very first minute to the last. Passage to India is a mere shade of Lean's earlier work, made by a very old and ailing man, and I'm afraid it shows.

As a matter of fact the last four films I've seen at our superb local cinema (in last fortnight) are:

Lawrence of Arabia (digital restoration)
The Nutcracker (live digital from the Bolshoi)
It's a Wonderful Life, Frank Capra (digital restoration)
Great Expectations, Newell.

All 5 stars in their very different ways. Can't say which I enjoyed most.

Tim Chappell 29 Dec 2012

I think I'd have enjoyed all of those, except the first
Daithi O Murchu 29 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Daithi O Murchu)
> [...]
>
> Christopher Plummer actually does a good job; it's Rod Steiger (in the role of Napoleon) who is definitely well below par. Brando isn't in the movie.

duh, of course, sorry for that thanks for the correction

> But it's churlish to damn Waterloo as one of the 'worst films ever' because the battle scenes by Bondarchuk are stupendous.

the dialogue is cringe worthy

Removed User 29 Dec 2012

Glorious 39. A staggeringly awful, insulting, time-thieving film.

Now I cant comment from a position of authority as i didnt see the film myself but I do remember reading quite a bit about it at its time of release.

The Empire review, strangely, makes me want to see the film to judge for myself quite how bad it actually was.

So, did anyone actually watch the modern classic that is Gigli?

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=9355

remus Global Crag Moderator 29 Dec 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Nazis at the Centre of the Earth is a classic worst film in the world, though whether it takes the title i can't say as I have yet to see Arachnoquake and Mansquito, both strong contenders.

It would seem, thanks to Empire voters, that you are all incorrect.

What I can say, is that I have only seen the number one spot out of this apparent line up of a quality viewing.

http://www.empireonline.com/features/50-worst-movies-ever/default.asp?film=...

HenryJM 29 Dec 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: The Holiday. Got up to leave, but realised it was going on for another hour and fancied the chick who took me to it. It didn't last!
 papashango 30 Dec 2012

Piranha 3D. Plenty of lolz to be had watching some of it on youtube though!
In reply to Removed UserStuart Mitchell:

Agreed. Mindnumbingly bad. Childishly unaccomplished. Totally unbelievable.
Tim Chappell 30 Dec 2012
In reply to remus:

"Nazis at the Centre of the Earth" and "Arachnoquake" both sound like contenders for the Worst Ever Film-Title award.

stp 30 Dec 2012

Pterodactyl - 2005 must rank down there with the worst of 'em. With a lowly IMDB 3.2 rating, its one of those 'so bad its good' kind of films.
 imogen.fish 30 Dec 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Havn't read the whole thread, but I did search and nobody has mentioned Tommy Wiseau's masterpiece 'The Room'

Here is a sample scene: youtube.com/watch?v=mQ4KzClb1C4&

If you want to fully appreciate exactly how long 90 minutes of your life can feel, I recommend this film highly!
 MikeTS 31 Dec 2012
In reply to simonfish2000:
sooo bad. Liked this comment

'I saw this movie on a plane and people still walked out'
 Kemics 31 Dec 2012

Not sure if it's the worst ever. Be certainly the worst I saw in 2012 -

Mr. Nobody.

Man it was so bad. I think it's the first film I've ever given up on. I don't think i've ever shouted at the television before...
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers) Havn't read the whole thread, but I did search and nobody has mentioned Tommy Wiseau's masterpiece 'The Room'
>
> Here is a sample scene: youtube.com/watch?v=mQ4KzClb1C4&
>
> If you want to fully appreciate exactly how long 90 minutes of your life can feel, I recommend this film highly!

Nah, its a wind up, that cant be a real movie.

JCurrie 31 Dec 2012

I'll say it again.

The Matrix.

I was stuck at the wrong end of the row and allowed my politeness (or british reserve, or whatever) to overrule my rising hate for a truly abysmal film.

Jase

Tom Last 31 Dec 2012
> (In reply to simonfish2000)
> [...]
>
> Nah, its a wind up, that cant be a real movie.

Nice comment

"I saw this movie on a plane and people still walked out."
 deepsoup 31 Dec 2012
In reply to JCurrie:
Daft as it is, I really liked the Matrix.

If you think it's a contender for "worst films ever" though, you should try watching the sequel.
 Tom Last 31 Dec 2012
In reply to MikeTS:
> sooo bad. Liked this comment
>
> 'I saw this movie on a plane and people still walked out'

D'oh!
 homing-penguin 31 Dec 2012
In reply to colina: I'd forgotten about Snakes On A Plane
 Blue Straggler 31 Dec 2012
Bobby Deerfield
 Tom Valentine 31 Dec 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Thanks for the tip. I will make a point of seeking it out. As car racing films go it will have to beat the execrable "Days of Thunder" to be a contender.

Having Googled a good many sites on the topic I can only offer this suggestion: Do not trust any "worst films" list which contains "Heaven's Gate".
 Siward 31 Dec 2012
In reply to Tom Valentine:
Nobody's mentioned Grease 2, genuinely terrible.
 Wallm0nkey 31 Dec 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: The Room has quite a cult following my sister got me to watch it at the electric cinema and it was a brilliant night. If it ever appears at a local cinema it's worth going take plenty of plastic spoons though!
In reply to Wallm0nkey:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers) The Room has quite a cult following my sister got me to watch it at the electric cinema and it was a brilliant night. If it ever appears at a local cinema it's worth going take plenty of plastic spoons though!

So I gather. Ive done some reading up on it and I am actually curious to watch it now. In some quarters, its suggested as being the worst film ever made. How can I not watch it.

pneame 31 Dec 2012
In reply to JCurrie:
I'd echo that - we've tried to watch the Matrix twice and just can't stand it. I think we tried one the sequels as well (suckers for punishment) and couldn't stand that either
 Wallm0nkey 31 Dec 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: It is a terrible film hard to believe it was made seriously. Not sure I'd of sat and watched it on my own but with a room full of people who appear to know it word for word was a surreal experience.
 imogen.fish 31 Dec 2012
> [...]
>
> Nah, its a wind up, that cant be a real movie.

It's really not! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Room_(film)#Production Just read that paragraph! Half way through one of the actors walked out, so all of a sudden you just get another guy playing one of the parts... Must be seen to be believed. Five Stars.
ice.solo 01 Jan 2013

star wars xmas special. so bad it becomes so good it becomes bad again.
its actually got the real cast - with singing, and animated bits about bobba fett, and a whole scene set in chewbaccas home town. total stoner material, a real room stopper at parties.

im going to 2nd lord of the rings. if it hadnt been a book with a religious following it would have been waterworld in 3 parts, tho if i remember correctly waterworld had one or two bikini sequences.
 sbc_10 01 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

I've just spent half an hour watching a family of Wookies gibbering at each other without a clue what on Tatooine is going on!! There is a faint hope that a storyline might strike back......dear God...how did this pass the sanity police?
 Blue Straggler 01 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
>
> star wars xmas special.

It was the "Holiday Special" and was for Thanksgiving, not Christmas.
I have willingly watched it all the way through (with original ads) three times, which might be a record.
Alec Guiness managed to get out of participating, somehow.

Hmmm possibly NOT for Thanksgiving after all, as it was too early in November to have been Thanksgiving, I think. Oh well
 Tom Last 01 Jan 2013
> (In reply to ice.solo)
> [...]
>
> It was the "Holiday Special"

I think the Ewok films Caravan of Courage etc are actually worse, if you can believe that!
In reply to Southern Man:

I saw Caravan of Courage when I was 11 and found it utterly boring! I never saw the other one and can't remember its name
 Tom Last 01 Jan 2013

The other was The Battle for Endor according to Wikipedia.

I don't remember much between them in terms of quality.
mountainsheep 01 Jan 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: iron sky or gran torino
 Purple 01 Jan 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Driven to Despair, a recent 'climbing' film. Utter, unmitigated dross. A disgrace and embarrassment to the climbing community and film-making itself.
Tim Chappell 01 Jan 2013
In reply to Purple:

Burn after Reading. Have I mentioned that one before? Sphincter-tighteningly awful.
General Lee 01 Jan 2013

I'm starting to think that most of the films that have been on the TV in the last week are eligible for a high ranking on the worst films ever list.
 Clarence 01 Jan 2013

I was talked into believing that "Up" was a life-changing experience, well its about half-way through and I have resorted to UKC to stop me doing harm to the television set.

Seriously, its complete dross.
 yeti 01 Jan 2013

field of dreams, utter boredom, no baseball film should be shown outside the US
In reply to yeti:

However much you didnt like it (Field of Dreams), it's still utterly absurd to call that one of the 'worst films ever'. Really, really, really absurd.
 sbc_10 01 Jan 2013
> (In reply to yeti)
>
> However much you didnt like it (Field of Dreams), it's still utterly absurd to call that one of the 'worst films ever'.

Agree, baseball itself is a tedious game (he's says laying himself open to a mauling) but the film concerns itself about many other issues. The baseball is just the vehicle that carries it along. The film is worth it for Burt Lancaster's performance alone, and if you know the subtext to this, his last major film role, it can invoke a lump in the throat. Now that's not the worst film in the world.
ice.solo 01 Jan 2013
In reply to sbc_10:

i think a dose of electric kool aid likely helps. worth seeing the bobba fett cartoon tho - just aching to be sampled to 110bpm.
ice.solo 01 Jan 2013

always willing to be corrected by those more obsessive than myself.
three times thru is a symptom of something (the original ads im assuming were no worse than the film???).

i hope they do a lord of the rings holiday special, and this time the wizard stays!
ice.solo 01 Jan 2013
In reply to mountainsheep:

gran torino???

each to their own, but i can see how it will be boring to many, but bad...i cant concurr.

(i admit to loving it)
 Jon Stewart 01 Jan 2013
> (In reply to yeti)
>
> However much you didnt like it (Field of Dreams), it's still utterly absurd to call that one of the 'worst films ever'. Really, really, really absurd.

Well this is the thing. For example, many of Mr Chapell's "worst films ever" are films greatly loved by lots and lots of people who are really passionately into cinema.

I love Withnail and I, but not bothered about Taxi Driver. Burn After Reading is not a good Cohen Brothers film, but is still miles ahead of standard Hollywood dross.

I could name loads of films I happened not to enjoy, many of which would be classics that people who are into that type of thing will rave about.

The question is, is there such a thing as objectively bad? Without question, if there was such a thing, Withnail and I would not be it. I doubt Field of Dreams would be either (although, like combining a bottle of whisky with sedatives, it puts me in danger of vomiting in my sleep).

I suspect that there is some sort of measure of 'objective quality' which has got something to do with a 'justified consensus' (i.e. it is not simply box office figures, it matters what people say about the film in question) and can distinguish 'films I didn't like' from 'films that should not have been made because they diminish humanity'. And I think that some people have a firmer grasp of that measure than others.
 nufkin 01 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
> [...]
>
> 'films that should not have been made because they diminish humanity'

An excellent phrase. Directors ought to be asking themselves that before they start each new project.
Slugain Howff 06 Jan 2013

Any one vote for Salmon Fishing in the Yemen ?- a true shocker.

Feel robbed even watching the £3 Tesco DVD.

S
 gd303uk 06 Jan 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Ridley Scott's, robin hood, is a terrible film, with the actors director and money thrown at this, you would expect a half decent film. And there is a sequel rumoured to infect the cinema. Utter shite.

Tom Valentine 06 Jan 2013
In reply to gd303uk:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers) Ridley Scott's, robin hood, is a terrible film, with the actors director and money thrown at this, you would expect a half decent film.

I would say it's a half decent film, nothing more. Which puts it several levels above some of his brother's output.

In reply to gd303uk: Ha, watched this over Xmas for the first time. OK, in saying that I went to sleep before I finished the film which doesnt say much about the film. Russell Crows Yorkshire accent was a peach.

As for big budget stinkers, I hereby nominate Troy, which I watched last night. Was it the woste film ever? No? Should it have been better for the money invested? Hell yes.
 Fraser 06 Jan 2013

I'm so tempted to say 'Life of Pi' which I saw last night, but I know that would be unfair. I think it was probably a very good film, however there was a lot of it that I really didn't enjoy.
 omerta 06 Jan 2013

I walked out of Lost In Space
 Offwidth 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Beat me too it. This means a lot of the 'worst' low budget films in some respects are actually OK as they were crafted quickly but with love and humour. Ditto the big budget flops (they are shit value for money more than terrible). The worst objective quality relates to almost no artistic drive or cinematic craft as they got lost in the greed and politics that Hollywood is infested with: nearly always mid-priced bandwagon films with production problems rushed out to low box office receipts.

These threads (film, music, classic climb, whatever) also bring out the plain silly, thoughtless and sometimes needlessly cruel: defining quality on personal taste is moronic; deliberately citing some of the classics as trash is a little bit below toilet humour; bullying someone who loves something is low indeed.
readysalted 07 Jan 2013
The climb.

If you haven't seen it before it's a 'mountain film', with not a great deal of climbing in it, but alot of people walking around in climbing gear, and a hell of alot of The North Face product placement. The film ropes you in (excuse the pun), and then drip feeds you the religious undertones, culminating in one of the climbers, returning from Mt Checanagua (Supposedly in Chile), and converting to Christianity.

Probably not THE worst film, but certainly a shit film, save for the few mountain scenes, and I always feel like it insults my intelligence.

...On the other hand K2, very good I think. The eiger sanction, fantastic.
luke-t 09 Jan 2013
Snakes on a Train?
 cuppatea 10 Jan 2013
Avatar was the worst blue film I ever saw. Watched half after recording it and just couldn't face finishing it.

This thread has reminded me of a trip to the cinema to watch The Ring.
There were only about 8 of us watching the film, and I managed to make most of them jump by shouting BOO!! during a suspenceful bit and making my girlfriend scream in terror. Even typing this now years later is making me chuckle.
 d_b 10 Jan 2013

"Hollywood chainsaw hookers" is pretty bad, but far from the worst film I have ever seen to the end.
 Chris H 10 Jan 2013

Im in bed with really bad manflu and i had to stop reading as i couldnt breathe due to laughing

>
> It's really not! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Room_(film)#Production Just read that paragraph! Half way through one of the actors walked out, so all of a sudden you just get another guy playing one of the parts... Must be seen to be believed. Five Stars.

Ava Adore 10 Jan 2013

Skyline. It had all the things that ought to make it a big hit for me (guns, aliens and car chases). But it was unmitigated shite.
 Blue Straggler 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
>
> Skyline. It had all the things that ought to make it a big hit for me (guns, aliens and car chases). But it was unmitigated shite.

Have you copy-and-pasted this? It rings a bell!
 Ava Adore 10 Jan 2013

No. I keep saying it. Because it keeps being true.
 d_b 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

trivia: Skyline was the first film to be produced entirely with high dynamic range processes. All filming, effects etc were done in HDR.

Therefore HDR is bad and should be banned! '
 Ava Adore 10 Jan 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Clearly it was HDR wotsit that made it a shite film

I can't believe no-one's mentioned No Country For Old Men....
 LastBoyScout 10 Jan 2013

Woman in Black - Daniel Radcliffe one. Worst ending ever after a dreary film.

Blair Witch project - wanted to walk out of cinema.
You, Me and Dupree - actually walked out of cinema.
 Milesy 10 Jan 2013
In reply to General Lee:
> 2, Hobo with a shotgun

C'mon that isnt the same thing. If it is good then it cant be bad. This was an absolutely brilliant film. It was supposed to be that way.

There is a difference between films which just suck and films which are intentionally made to be rediculous.
fxceltic 10 Jan 2013
In reply to General Lee:
>
> More of the type of so bad you should see them are:
>
> 1, Nude nuns with big guns
> 2, Hobo with a shotgun

I assume you also have netflix...
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:
>
> I can't believe no-one's mentioned No Country For Old Men....

Wash your mouth out, with vim.

cb294 10 Jan 2013

Stuff that is unintentionally crap:
Waterworld (although Jeanette Tripplehorn or whatever she is called was rather cute)
Lord of the Rings
all three Star Wars prequels
all Matrix films

Of course, nothing beats the 1960s Japanese monster films like Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla

CB

Jon Stewart 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

Well, like I said in my post above there's "films I didn't enjoy" and there's films that can justifiably described as crap. NCFOM is not one of my favourite films, I found it unbearably depressing by the end. But in terms of craft it is absolutely stunning, and anyone who can't make this distinction should probably stick to lowest common denominator Hollywood dross.
 Milesy 10 Jan 2013
I will mention this because it relates to hobo with a shotgun.

It is absolutely wonderfully entertaining.

Rubber - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubber-DVD/dp/B004OQJSOU

About a rubber tyre that goes on a killing spree.

There are only going to be two types of opinion about this film.

1. People who try and take it seriously and then complain it was an absolutely awful film.
2. People who see the downright comedy and humour in it without their being comedy or humour presented.
 Dave Ferguson 10 Jan 2013
"Lost in translation" - pretentious shite, how it got nominated for an oscar is beyond me. Watched it in Weymouth on a trip to Portland to keep us out the pub, it only succeeded in that respect as we slept most of the way through. People's mobile phones going off were a welcome distraction, would have walked out but couldn't be arsed.
 d_b 10 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog)
> [...]
>
> Wash your mouth out, with vim.

They did screw up the ending by missing a vital scene out. I was ok because I had read the book, but I could hear a chorus of "WTF?!" from the rest of the cinema.
 alooker 10 Jan 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: leprechaun in the hood
 alooker 10 Jan 2013
In reply to alooker: or leprechaun in the hood 2
In reply to davidbeynon: This is true, the end let down the rest but the rest was engrossing, tense, dark and with a truly mesmerising baddie.

One of the best baddies I think although I cant quite work out what his weapon is.
 PeterM 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Ferguson:
> "Lost in translation" - pretentious shite, how it got nominated for an oscar is beyond me. Watched it in Weymouth on a trip to Portland to keep us out the pub, it only succeeded in that respect as we slept most of the way through. People's mobile phones going off were a welcome distraction, would have walked out but couldn't be arsed.

- Wrong!
 Jon Stewart 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Ferguson:

What were you expecting Lost In Translation to be like?

It's definitely not a favourite film of mine, but it's a million miles away from being dreadful. If you want to see some pretentious shite, try something in which "nobody knows what the hell is going on"*.

Here's a few suggestions:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062480/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166924/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383028/

All have something to recommend them, but this is what a pretentious film looks like IMO, not just a fairly quiet social drama.

*http://www.rapid-upload.org/k0aocr2p3aat/Picnic_On_Your_Mum.mp3.html
 d_b 10 Jan 2013

The weapon is a compressed air captive bolt gun, normally used for slaughtering cattle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_bolt_pistol
 Bulls Crack 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to Dave Ferguson)
>
> What were you expecting Lost In Translation to be like?
>
> It's definitely not a favourite film of mine, but it's a million miles away from being dreadful.

It often turns up in threads such as these - seems to get peoples backs up for some reason.

I enjoyed it.
 d_b 11 Jan 2013

I just popped over to badmovies.org and found a review of "2-HEADED SHARK ATTACK"

Looks quality.
 graeme jackson 11 Jan 2013

Buckaroo Banzai in the 8th dimension.
Early outings for peter weller, John lithgow, jeff goldblum and sundry others. So bad it's........ bad
 d_b 11 Jan 2013
In reply to graeme jackson:

For some reason that one has a lot of fanatical fans. I just couldn't be bothered with it at all.
wildmanwildhouse 11 Jan 2013
In reply to cb294: honeymoon killers. watched it in norway in the local cinema in andalsnes in black and white .No idea what it was about,but it was absolute shite.
In reply to davidbeynon:
>
> The weapon is a compressed air captive bolt gun, normally used for slaughtering cattle.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_bolt_pistol

Every day is a school day.

Mark Bannan 11 Jan 2013

Here's a few contenders (IMHO, of course):

Clueless
Presidio
Cool Runnings
 Blue Straggler 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Mark Bannan:
>
> Presidio

I read an interview with Meg Ryan once, in which she said that her mum had thought Kevin Costner and Mark Harmon were the same person - presumably because The Presidio had all the hallmarks of the kind of film Costner might have turned down.
Connery is his usual embarrassing self in this film, that fight scene where he claims to just be using his weak thumb is just screenwriters pandering to his foolish ego.
It's barely a B-movie.
 FrankW 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Mark Bannan: I loved Cool Runnings despite the Disney cheese. The worst film I've watched had to be Ultra Violet. So bad I even got bored with the gratuitous arose shots of Milla Jockovic. Some of the dross my children watch take things to a whole new level though. If in doubt try the Lion King 3
 Blue Straggler 12 Jan 2013
In reply to FrankW:

Ultraviolet is pretty bad. I actually deliberately sought it out at the cinema as a potential "worst film ever" but despite its craptitude, it wasn't really THAT bad! I mean, it's crap, but there's worse. It's probably better than (say) Batman and Robin.
I tried the same with The Cave but despite its silliness I rather enjoyed it - lovely sets and cinematography, plus Lena Headey.
 Blue Straggler 12 Jan 2013

The Core?
 yeti 12 Jan 2013

only my opinion but "forrest gump" 2 hours of my life wasted

obviously some critics liked it but i'd rather watch paint dry

by the way... i liked lotr and matrix, though matrix has some problems being honest to its own universe
 Totally-Normal 12 Jan 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Its a mystery to me how no one has yet mentioned Cloverfield. Has to be the worst film I've ever seen.
 yeti 12 Jan 2013
In reply to taylorct:

aye i was cheering the monster, the characters were so unlikeable
 DaveHK 12 Jan 2013

Kill Bill is pretty crap.
 Reach>Talent 17 Jan 2013
Baise-Moi is the worst film I've seen in a while.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2002/04/17/baise_moi_2002_review.shtml#rating
 MHutch 17 Jan 2013
In reply to yeti:

For me, the films I've enjoyed the least are those which were hyped to buggery beforehand. If I've paid to watch it rather than waited for the telly then it compounds the problem.

Truly, Madly, Deeply takes top prize for me. It even has Alan Rickman in it, and is still awful.

Fried Green Tomatoes at the WhistleStop Cafe. Should have expected this to not to be my cup of tea, but sooooo bored.

Matrix Reloaded. Unwatchable drivel. I know some people don't like any of them, but I liked the Matrix...

Blue Straggler 18 Jan 2013
In reply to MHutch:
> (In reply to yeti)
>
> For me, the films I've enjoyed the least are those which were hyped to buggery beforehand. If I've paid to watch it rather than waited for the telly then it compounds the problem.
>
> Truly, Madly, Deeply takes top prize for me. It even has Alan Rickman in it, and is still awful.
>
> Fried Green Tomatoes at the WhistleStop Cafe. Should have expected this to not to be my cup of tea, but sooooo bored.

Those two weren't particularly "hyped to buggery"!
estivoautumnal 18 Jan 2013
>
> All I can say is that I dont think I have ever watched such a plss poor film. An hour of my life that I will never, ever get back.
>

Just as an aside, how many hours of you life do you get back?

MHutch 18 Jan 2013

Perhaps I was reading the wrong publications at the time. I remember rave reviews for both...
 Blue Straggler 18 Jan 2013
In reply to MHutch:

A couple of good reviews is not the same as "hyped to buggery"
 MHutch 18 Jan 2013

Gosh. Slight hyperbole on a lighthearted forum post. Who will save us?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...