/ phone app recommendation please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Kelcat - on 28 Dec 2012
Hi All, I'm gonna start by saying that I am NOT tech savvy. I can download & use an app- I have no idea (or desire to know) how they work :-)
I'm abroad a fair bit nowadays and my roaming costs are daft. In todays world I feel certain there must be an app that would let me make calls from my smart phone via free WiFi (hotels,bars, hostels etc) without charging me? Can anyone recommend such a thing that they actually use, and that simple to operate? Cheers, K
Solar - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Kelcat:
Whasapp is good for messaging - but the person you contact needs it too. Not sure about one for calls.
steelbru - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Kelcat:
If you want to make phone calls without using "standard" phone time, then you need an internet based phone call solution - try Skype, that's the most popular and should be free if you have a wifi signal
Kelcat - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to steelbru: I'd thought of Skype, but from my (limited) research I'd understood that it charged on mobiles?
shaymarriott - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Kelcat:

Firstly, is is an iPhone? Android? Windows Phone OS? Because the apps you can use will vary depending on Operating System. They do exist aplenty, and are easy to use providing that whoever you are calling is using the same app. Let us know what [hone you have and someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Shay.
Kelcat - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to shaymarriott: hi, its a HTC Sensation
Dominion - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Kelcat:

So, Android, then?

Skype would be the first thing I'd think of..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skype.raider&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSw...

You'd have to make sure that you know how to set your phone to only use data when connected to wifi, but that's not hard to do...
Jaffacake - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Kelcat:

It charges you to call other phones (you put credit onto your account, so it's easy to control what you're spending and there's no risk of surprises), it's free to call other skype accounts.

That's the case whether using it on your computer or your phone. If you're going to be making a few calls to the same person/people it makes sense to get them set up with a skype account then you can call for free, just make sure it uses wifi and not data.
Kelcat - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Jaffacake: ah, that's the bit I've not understood. As I'll mainly be calling 2-3 people I can get them to do that. Is there a way to make it just do voice & not video, I assume that will perform better?
Tony Naylor on 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Kelcat:
> (In reply to Jaffacake) ah, that's the bit I've not understood. As I'll mainly be calling 2-3 people I can get them to do that. Is there a way to make it just do voice & not video, I assume that will perform better?
Yes, you can do voice only - the option is in the app when you tell it to call a contact
. Not tried it, but it's bound use less data.
sargy - on 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Kelcat:

I've been using Skype very happily and successfully over the last few years overseas whilst leading expeditions. In fact- this summer a punter I had on my team was able to video Skype his kids back in the UK whilst sat in a cafe in a remote area of Northern Vietnam! It's funny where you can find a WiFi signal these days! And yes, it's free as long as you're callin other Skype users who are also logged in. If you want to call mobiles or landlines globally using Skype then you do have to credit your account. For what it's worth- when in places like South America or SE Asia I find it more convenient to carry a crappy old mobile with a local SIM card in- call costs have been very reasonable when contacting the UK.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.