UKC

Crampons for bigger boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello,

I just got some crampons (for Christmas woo!) and the front points are always angling slightly inwards, towards the other foot. This is because of the mid bar has more curve in it at the larger settings.

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem? In the shop I tried the G14s and Lynxs and decided on the Lynxs because they seemed straighter at the time. Now that they aren't in side by side comparison they still seem a little wonky.

Thanks,

David
 CurlyStevo 30 Dec 2012
In reply to David Kirsfelds:
rambos have a kink rather than a curve so may be better in this regard. They ard certainly less pigeon toed than most on my size 46 feet.
 homing-penguin 30 Dec 2012
In reply to David Kirsfelds: you can get a bigger bar in the middle, they're about ten quid.
 CurlyStevo 30 Dec 2012
In reply to homing-penguin: but are they any less curved?

Fiskavaig 30 Dec 2012
In reply to David Kirsfelds: I had the same problem with my size 47 Cumbres, tried all sorts of crampons, could not get a good fit, then i tried my old Charlet Moser S12's, they turned out to be the best fit of the lot!
 Hannes 30 Dec 2012
> Does anyone have any solutions to this problem? In the shop I tried the G14s and Lynxs and decided on the Lynxs because they seemed straighter at the time. Now that they aren't in side by side comparison they still seem a little wonky.

You want your crampon points to be pointing inwards a little, otherwise it is really hard work kicking in at a weird angle. If you stand with them on in a relaxed position, i.e. feet not completely straight forward but toes slightly outwards, are they still pointing inwards then? It looks rather weird on the boots but it should be like that. The only thing otherwise I can think of is if there are some kind of asymmetric crampon bars that are fitted to your crampons, I know Grivel make some but they are an option rather than a must but even then most modern boots benefit from it.
aultguish 30 Dec 2012
Look at instruction 4 in your Lynx booklet (the picture with the 3 toecaps) and see if that helps. Also, some previous crampons that I've had, you could turn the linking bar upside down (if that makes sense? Opposite).
Don't know if Petzl would sanction that and therefore I take no responsibility for you or anyone else's actions if you do lol )
 CurlyStevo 31 Dec 2012
In reply to Hannes: imo the asym bars are a poor bodge to make the downward facing points cover the sole properly, this tends to make the front points point in even more and imo normally too much.
 homing-penguin 31 Dec 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: You can get a variety. I've seen long ones, short ones, sharply curved ones, less curved ones.....

Thanks for the replies. I have tried moving the tow bail position, but this has little effect on the angle of the front points really. I ordered some long bars too, even though the normal bar works for them. Compared to the normal bars they are exactly the same curve, only but a little longer! If they had made these longer bars a little straighter they would be perfect. I have tried reversing the bars, which does actually straighten out the front points but then the rear of the crampon goes out of alignment.

All I need is a straight bar and they don't seem to make one! I have emailed Petzl asking for some suggestions and will see what they say. As mentioned, it might not even matter too much...!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...