UKC

Old sleeping bag - to charity?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonny taylor 30 Dec 2012
I have an old Vango synthetic sleeping bag. It is bulky, but back it the day it was a good warm bag. It has sat in a stuff sac for 10 years and is a bit mouldy on the fabric, but I think after a good wash it should be servicable.

I don't want it as I have a much better one now, but it seems a bit too good just to throw away. I feel it would be useful to a homeless charity or suchlike, but it would need a very good wash first. Does anybody have any suggestions about where I could take it, or should I just throw it out?

I am currently in Durham, moving to Glasgow. I'm afraid I don't have the time/patience to get it properly washed as I am snowed under with moving hassle.

Any thoughts?
In reply to jonny taylor: try the local homeless shelter, a friend gave one a load of sleepingbags this summer after working on a camp, meant they were put to use rather than landfill
 cuppatea 30 Dec 2012
In reply to jonny taylor:

If you take it to a charity shop for them to sell and it's mouldy then it'll end up in the bin. Or, depending on the charity, it may go in the "rag bag" and be recycled for its fibres. Some charities even have local schemes where they bag up absorbent rag like jeans a T-shirts and sell them per bag to local garages to use as hand wipes.

I don't know about charities that give stuff to homeless people..
 gethin_allen 30 Dec 2012
The salvation army are the best bet I reckon, they actually give donations to people they are helping rather than flog stuff for cash.
 cuppatea 30 Dec 2012

...and use that cash to buy thing to help the people hey are helping.
 mattc 30 Dec 2012
In reply to jonny taylor: I gave two to local homeless people on the street
 homing-penguin 31 Dec 2012
That's a brilliant idea, I'm going to start giving my old tents, fleeces, waterproofs and sleeping bags to homeless

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...