UKC

First Aid training supplies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climber david 01 Jan 2013
Hi

I have been asked to run a first aid night for my Explorer scout unit as I have an outdoor first aid certificate. I have slideshows etc. but the only thing I don't have is dressings and bandages etc.

I have already emailed the place I go to for F.A. supplies in the hope they will have old stock or split packets which they won't mind donating to the scouts. I also got a couple of old first aid kits from my dads work but only have a couple of ambulance dressings and not much else

Do any of you lovely people know of anywhere that would be happy to pass on out-of-date first aid kits etc to a scout group.

I'm based in Bishopton, near paisely so near their would be ideal

Thanks

David
OP climber david 01 Jan 2013
In reply to climber david:

P.S. If no one knows anywhere giving old/damaged stock away, where is the cheapest place to buy it. The place I use (www.boundtree.co.uk) is pretty cheap already but wondered if anywhere else is cheaper

Thanks

David
 Landy_Dom 01 Jan 2013

I've had out of date stuf free from my work (also for scouting). Ask around local factories who are switched on about keeping first aid kits up to date and stay in touch with them - strictly speaking out of date stuff should be binned, but if its for practice only, most businesses should be happy to donate to a good cause.
OP climber david 01 Jan 2013
In reply to Landy_Dom:

Cheers. Thats the kind of place I was thinking. I was also going to ask at school if they had any out of date stuff as one of the kids parents works in the office
Bingers 01 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Landy_Dom)
>
> Cheers. Thats the kind of place I was thinking. I was also going to ask at school if they had any out of date stuff as one of the kids parents works in the office

That's where I get mine from. Try two or three schools and you'll soon have more than you need. From my experience, primary schools take first aid more seriously than secondary and are more likely to identify out of date dressings. They might already be in the habit of keeping them for the Early Years classes playing doctors and nurses, which is isn't encouraged so much in secondary.
cragtaff 02 Jan 2013
In reply to climber david: Might be more useful to teach them how to cope if they haven't got any bandages and dressings etc. Its sod's law that when an accident happens you haven't got anything like that handy anyway. Get them thinking about how to improvise.
OP climber david 02 Jan 2013
In reply to cragtaff:

Yep. was going to do that as well but when we go on camp or wherever, we always have a first aid kit so think its a good idea to teach the proper equipment as well as improvising. Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...