UKC

North east uk lead climb help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 itsonlyRick 02 Jan 2013
Just woundering if anyone from the north east or who has climbed in the area could help me find some pinned outdoor walls within like a 3 day drive from the middlesbrough area. Dont mind travelling into cumbria if its worth it. Im finding it abit hard finding the walls on the search, id much rather get local info. Thanks
 Bulls Crack 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Rick Randall:

3 days? That covers all the GB and Europe!

3 hours - Yorkshire Dales/Peak District/S Lakes limestone/ N Wales limestone if it's sport you're after.
 silhouette 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Rick Randall: It does understandably p*ss off some people in Scotland when you say "North east uk" when you actually mean "North-East England".
3 days drive from Middlesbrough? Are you sure? You could get to the Pyrenees in that time. Don't you mean 3 hours?
What's a "pinned oudoor wall"?
 jkarran 02 Jan 2013

I hear Turkey has some cracking sport.

If you meant 3 hours drive then the Yorkshire Dales has some easier limestone sport crags (bolted climbing is what you're after when you say pinned?) but most of it won't be dry for months.

Nearer to you and much quicker drying there are the sandstone edges and boulders of the North York Moors. It's generally not bolted but much of it is fine above a bouldering mat and you can top rope what isn't with very little kit. The Northumberland sandstone is great too, again it's not bolted but there's plenty of bouldering. I don't know how it's coping with the wet winter.

jk
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Jan 2013

'woundering'? Be careful out there.

Chris
 Will 62 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Rick Randall: Your nearest bolted wall would be Houghton Graveyard (Co. Durham) - See Steve Crow's Norh East Climbing (or something like that title) guide.

Best of ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...