Destinations forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Costa Blanca or Catalunya?

andyjirvin on 02 Jan 2013
Hello,

Can anyone help? I would appreciate some advice with deciding where to spend a week in late April/early May - Costa Blanca or Catalunya.

A little more background: we have one week where we're aiming to do mostly climbing, but would like to based near the coast (a beach within reach, if possible!) and also to have some interesting cultural/historical sight-seeing nearby!

After the first week we're planning another week which is a little more flexible, less climbing focussed and more about driving around to visit other areas. If starting near Costa Blanca then we'll head to the Valencia area and Albarracin, if in Catalunya we might head more to the Pyrenees or up to San Sebastian and around the north.

Both areas seem to have positives, I just can't decide. I have minor reservations about each area (which may or may not be unfounded):
Catalunya - we might be based in a more remote area with more driving required and less to see nearby when not climbing.
Costa Blanca - easy access, but the area seems horribly developed and lacking any cultural options nearby - but at least it will be cheap and there are beaches!

In terms of climbing, we'd be looking for a range of mostly single-pitch sport from 5+ to 7a (approx). I don't think this would be an issue in either area.

Does anyone have experience of either area? How do your experiences fit against my expectations/assumptions? Any suggestions on crags to visit, places to stay and other sights worth seeing nearby would be really welcome.

Thanks,
Andy.
... not showing 15 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums