UKC

You Tube video / music advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 02 Jan 2013
Having my first go at editing a climbing video which is great fun, however my knowledge is very limited...

I've managed to put a couple of songs as a soundtrack on the video and am pleased with the results, I do realise that if I put the video on e.g. You Tube I will be breaking copyright rules.

Is there a way around this i.e. can you pay to have songs on your video? If so how do you go about this?

If not where do I go looking for tracks which are free to use?
 balmybaldwin 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:

A friend has had problems with this, with youtube removing his videos due to copyright. However I have never had a problem, I think the difference is I always put the artists and song titles on credits at the end. Theres probably more info on this on youtube t and cs
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 02 Jan 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin: Youtube has a way to work out what music you have used. If it has an agreement with the record label then they often allow it and have links to where you can purchase the song. It is a mine filed though as it is hard to know who has right and where. So for instance, I have some videos that are find in teh UK but not in the US and vice versa.

Basically try posting to Youtube and see what happens.

Brumbler 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head: I've had lots of videos removed from youtube because of this, I use vimeo instead now and I've never had an issue uploading anything due to copyright rules.
 mlt 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I use http://www.freemusicarchive.org/. A very good range of free music, better than I've found elsewhere. There's also Moby's 'Gratis' available, but you'll need to register and wait for approval, I think.

I have ripped songs before and put them on videos, but I've started to stop doing this because I increasingly (for whatever unknown reason) feel it's theft and usually makes a video look more crass and cheap (if it's popular/well-known). Definitely put credits at the end and in the text below to decrease your chance of problems with YouTube.

There are plenty of other free music sites out there, but I find most are pretty atrocious sounding!
OP Sl@te Head 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Mark Reeves:
>
> Basically try posting to Youtube and see what happens.

Posted and is working at the moment...

Beardyman 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head: I agree with previous posts, it's best to just post the video and credit the music either on the video or in the description.

I think youtube reserve the right to advertise on your film as some sort of tit for tat compensation....?

I don't see why any artist/record co. would have a problem with their music being used in this way, it's like free advertising. I have purchased several tracks after hearing them on climbing films.

I also use Vimeo now as I find them much more user friendly and they don't put ads over your vid.

Post the link to your vid if you fancy some artistic feedback...
 Kieran_John 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Came to suggest vimeo but beaten to the punch. Personally much prefer it to youtube, and they're much better regarding copyrighted music.
OP Sl@te Head 03 Jan 2013
Posted on You Tube, they now appear with a 'Buy it Now on iTunes' Icon for the tracks used.

I've posted the vids on the Slate Wicki and the North Wales Limestone Wicki...also sent them to UKC.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...