UKC

cairngorm ski centre, condition?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Barratt 02 Jan 2013
Anyone been up that last couple days. had planned on going on Sunday but it's looking like it will be quite warm. is it worth going?
 DaveHK 02 Jan 2013
In reply to David Barratt:
> Anyone been up that last couple days. had planned on going on Sunday but it's looking like it will be quite warm. is it worth going?

No.

DaveHK 02 Jan 2013

I should probably qualify that a bit as I don't think it's ever worth paying for a pass on Cairngorm...

High temps forecast for the next few days but the real reason not to go is the high winds that are also forecast. Likely to make it unpleasant to ski or lead to the uplift being stopped.

If you want good skiing then forget it. If all you want is a wee slide and the winds have dropped and you don't mind paying the price then why not?
 Milesy 03 Jan 2013

I recommend adding Cairngorm Mountain on Facebook or Twitter. Good regular updated.
 Cuthbert 03 Jan 2013

it is often worth paying for a pass on CairnGorm. Ignore Dave on this one. Although, I think he is right about current conditions.

Always check here: http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/cairngorm-mountain/
 OwenM 03 Jan 2013
In reply to David Barratt: I'm just back from Cairngorm, the snow is very much washed away only patches remaining. I think there is still some in the ptarmigan bowl but not much below that. Lurchers Gully is a thin ribbon of snow in the stream bed with brown hills all around. I was up for five days but didn't even take the skis out of the car once. I was out walking every day but did get quite wet.
 MG 03 Jan 2013
In reply to David Barratt: Sounds like there is no snow just now. In general Nevis range is a better option - cheaper, less queuing, less likely to have access problem.
OP David Barratt 03 Jan 2013
In reply to David Barratt: Thanks, I'll keep an eye on ptarmigan bowl. I thought this winter was going to be good!! hope it gets cold soon. I usually climb so am only just learning to ski.
 Cuthbert 03 Jan 2013
In reply to MG:

There is plenty of snow, look on the webcams. Not enough though but it will come.
OP David Barratt 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Saor Alba: with it being so patchy, its hard to tell how thick it is and whether it will last until sunday! shall keep an eye on them though.
 DaveHK 03 Jan 2013

Just back from Cairngorm today and it's pretty poor. I skinned up the Ciste which was hard snow but not your actual ice. Lots of ice about higher up and none of the tows above the M1 open. I didn't see into the cas but given that the top car park was full I assume it was pretty busy.

The good news is that snow loss has been much less than I imagined and what is left constitutes a pretty good base with many of the gullies being full.

Don't despair this really is early days yet!
OP David Barratt 04 Jan 2013
In reply to David Barratt: Thanks for the input everyone. Anyone been today or are planning to go this weekend? I'm keeping a hopefull eye on the web cams and the fb page!
 DaveHK 04 Jan 2013
> (In reply to David Barratt) Thanks for the input everyone. Anyone been today or are planning to go this weekend? I'm keeping a hopefull eye on the web cams and the fb page!

Save your pennies for some better nick. It's not going to get any better in the next couple of days.

I was up on the skins again today and the snow is much softer than yesterday and starting to thaw more rapidly.
 Mike-W-99 04 Jan 2013
In reply to DaveHK:
I was also up there(walking) and agree with Dave, Having said that it was busy and everyone seemed happy
Amazed how much snow has gone from the ptarmigan bowl.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...