UKC

Top roping with half ropes (Beal Cobra II)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deanr 03 Jan 2013
I've just moved to Qatar where there is a small amount of outdoor climbing, however, it is top roping only. I think there are fixed bolts at the top of the sea cliffs. Climbs are max 10m. I have a set of Beal Cobra II half ropes and don't really want to buy a single rope. Is it advisable to climb with these in a top rope (bottom belay) situation? Should I use a single half rope or use them as twin?
 AlanLittle 03 Jan 2013
In reply to deanr:

Really not a suitable tool for the job. I'd buy the cheapest short single rope I could find.

Try gradually, progressively, testing out how far off the ground you have to be before you don't deck toproping on one half rope. I'd guess somewhere around 3 to 4 metres. Maybe less if your belayer keeps the rope so bowstring-tight that you're not actually climbing the route anyway.

Also, abrasion at the top would be a *huge* concern with a soft thin stretchy rope.
 LucaC 03 Jan 2013
In reply to deanr: The two problems as mentioned are rope stretch and abrasion damage. If neither of these are a concern then it should be ok (if not actually advisable). I'm still here...
OP deanr 03 Jan 2013
In reply to AlanLittle: thanks, I did wonder if rope stretch would be an issue. I'll buddy up with someone and will buy a short single rope if necessary.
 GrahamD 03 Jan 2013
In reply to deanr:

If I were you I'd probably just double a rope up and see how you go. A single half rope is a bit 'boingy' for top roping
silo 03 Jan 2013
In reply to deanr: Are the cliffs suitable for dws?
OP deanr 03 Jan 2013
In reply to silo:
> (In reply to deanr) Are the cliffs suitable for dws?

I don't think so, they are on the edge of a beach, but to be honest, I haven't been there yet

RichardP 03 Jan 2013
In reply to deanr:
buy a static rope or even better a Hauser rope.
by the sound or things you want something that won't take a dynamic loading and won't really get damage from sand
it's good enough for the sandstone in Kent (Harrison's, High rocks, Bowes etc.)

jkarran 03 Jan 2013
In reply to deanr:

Buy a short single or climb with someone that has one. If you use the halves extensively they'll get trashed.

jk
 TobyA 03 Jan 2013
In reply to deanr: I remember once top roping a short icefall about of the same height as your cliffs on a single Beal Iceline as that's all I had in the car at the time. My tools came out of the very thin ice at about a third - or maybe even half way up, and I virtually touched down on rope stretch. It was dramatic as you go down slowly, but really half ropes make lousy top ropes.

Various shops sell "wall ropes" of 20 or 30 mtrs for not too much at all. I'd get a nice chunky 10 or 10.5 and not knacker my half ropes.
 Misha 03 Jan 2013
In reply to deanr:
If it ends up trashing your cobra thru abrasion, getting a new cobra (assuming you'll need one eventually for lead climbing somewhere else) will cost more than a wall single!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...