/ Anyone in Scotland Ordained to perform a wee wedding?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
suilven - on 03 Jan 2013
Right here goes, long shot......

My lovely fiancee and I have decided to get married on 29 June this year. Really really struggling to find someone to do the business - she of a Catholic upbringing, me of a divorced Proddy one, neither practicing and spending more time of a Sunday climbing rather than worshipping.

Canny find anyone suitable to do the deed and marry us, for better or worse ;-) and don't really want the registry option - can anyone on these pages help, or suggest a solution to the problem?

We don't know any Jesuit priests (was mentioned as a possibility)!!!
crustypunkuk - on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to suilven:
Humanist?
Tim Chappell - on 03 Jan 2013
suilven - on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to crustypunkuk:

Thanks, but whilst full of doubts we are both not yet ready to embrace Humanism. Doubtful theists probably sums us up, and both families are very into their faith, so we are hoping to keep them 'happy' !!

Cheers for the suggestion though!

Should've just run away and done it abroad on a beach somewhere.....
In reply to suilven:

It's quite possible to be a humanist as well as a theist, you know. I am.
suilven - on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Thanks Tim - do you know this chappie??
suilven - on 03 Jan 2013
> (In reply to suilven)
>
> It's quite possible to be a humanist as well as a theist, you know. I am.

I'm an RE Teacher by profession and very open to many different ideas, though coming from a broadly raving Evangelical background!

Its very much a case of put on the spot to find someone who will carry out our ceremony I am struggling to come up with people!!

In reply to suilven:

Yeah, he's my parish priest. Liberal episcopalian. Teaches RE at the High School of Dundee because we his parishioners can't afford to pay him ourselves. Lovely guy. And if you look round our website, and can get past the cheesy headers <shudders>, you'll notice it's a rather beautiful church. I don't know whether Dundee's at all convenient for you and the lady, of course... but I flatter myself we do a darn good wedding.

Pm me if you like, or just email Ashley.
suilven - on 03 Jan 2013

Great - trouble is we've booked Glasgow Uni Chapel for the ceremony - does he travel?? More than happy to pay the going rate!!

Something nice about a fellow RE teacher doing the business ;-)
In reply to suilven:

Ah, you probably want a Weegie piskie then. But you could ask him. (Even if he says he's not up for it himself, I bet he has contacts in Glesca.)
In reply to suilven:

Oh, and of course I should have said-- all the best to you both for a brilliant wedding and an even better marriage :-)
suilven - on 03 Jan 2013

Tim, many thanks - I shall drop him a wee message and see what the chat is, even a contact in Glesga would be a start, we are really struggling to get this sorted and given its one of the few items on the TO DO list I am responsible for I intend to get on it!

Cheers!
In reply to suilven:

No problem. Have a good one, in fact have an epically brilliant one :-)
JPSC - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to suilven:

Try contacting a Unitarian celebrant:

http://www.glasgow-unitarians.org.uk/

http://www.edinburgh-unitarians.org.uk/

they are familiar with accepting those with other religious backgrounds
sleeplessjb - on 05 Jan 2013
In reply to suilven:
We were at a weddin there in summer, awesome place !! - think the uni chaplain did it... Was cool...
suilven - on 05 Jan 2013
In reply to sleeplessjb:

Cool - thanks for all the input guys, looking into a number of leads!

Now, anyone know someone with a green beetle I can hire for the wedding car??!! Think she is gonna scream if I produce our camper van with white ribbons on it ;-(
Neil Pratt - on 05 Jan 2013
In reply to suilven:

Hi Suilven - if you're still on the hunt for someone in the Glasgow area, I could put you in touch with a couple of folk who could do you a thoughtful service that would be sensitive to the different traditions in the room.

Send me a message if you're still on the hunt.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Lesley F on 05 Jan 2013
In reply to suilven: Hasn't the Uni events office been able to suggest someone to you? I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time someone's asked them about this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.