UKC

The thaw - Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Ponting 04 Jan 2013
Given the state of the thaw thread about Scotland, is there any snow/ice left at all in the lakes?

Is it even worth packing anything more than a walking axe (just in case there's any left in an odd patch somewhere) if I'm going this weekend?
 Simon Caldwell 04 Jan 2013
In reply to David Ponting:
> Is it even worth packing anything more than a walking axe

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with a walking axe.
OP David Ponting 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Toreador: That bad?! Ouch. I'll put it in the car nonetheless, even if it stays in the car/hut the whole weekend.
 Simon Caldwell 04 Jan 2013
Even the Weatherline aren't recommending axe/crampons and they're always OTT in their safety warnings.

Photos at
http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/gallery

and things will get worse, with summit temperatures of +11 today and +6 at the weekend.
OP David Ponting 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Toreador: Wow, it really is completely gone... thanks for the advice, even though it's bad news.
redsonja 04 Jan 2013
In reply to David Ponting: there is nothing left at all. sorry!
Removed User 04 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Toreador) Wow, it really is completely gone... thanks for the advice, even though it's bad news.

A welcome day of dry weather. Currently falling through 7 degrees at 300 metres. Rock climbing beckons, unless you want to do Snicker Snack without all that white stuff getting in the way.
 Jack Whiteley 09 Jan 2013
In reply to David Ponting: going to the lakes tomorrow. Just wanting to walk. What are the ground conditions like?
 shantaram 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Jack Whiteley: The fells are pretty wet and waterlogged at the moment. No significant snow left apart from a few patches here and there in sheltered gullies and on the high tops. No need for ice axe or crampons.
 Si Withington 09 Jan 2013

Naff all left, but reliable sources suggest summit temps on Helvelyn and the like will fall below zero and remain there for some time. Snow is forecast, but it's going to need a big dump and some freeze/thaw cycles (minor ones please!) before anything snow-dependent can be considered climbable. I'd imagine that it's going to be great weather for winter walking though soon.

Enjoy,

Si
redsonja 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Jack Whiteley: we were out yesterday on hopegill head/ whiteside. not as wet underfoot as i imagined, the slate was very slippy, of course. but its still better than being at work!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...