UKC

Mera and Island peak trek

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
trollman 04 Jan 2013
Hi ukc
A new year and iv got the blues bad, I really need something special to look forward to, later in the year, struggling to even get out of bed at the moment, that bad. Never been to the himalayas,
always wanted to go, so thinking of putting down a deposit with a well known treking company
for the Mera/Island/AL pass trek in november, done some googling and forum searches, just want a friendly push to book it up from someone who's done it, being self employed I'm
hoping it will motivate me to get out and earn the ££, also something to focus my fitness
training on.
Regards T

In reply to trollman: If only you had posted this a few weeks ago...UKCs resident Himalayan trekking empresario has decided to take a break from posting on here

In all seriousness...do it. I spent a few months trekking in Nepal many years ago, nothing out of the ordinary..Annurpuna circuit, EBC, Island Peak. My experience was that the Everest region was more impressive...a highlite being walking along the Chukung Valley past Ama Dablam on the way to Island Peak.

You will never regret it.
m0unt41n 04 Jan 2013
In reply to trollman: Good choice, November should be OK, cold but clearer than just after the Monsoon. Views from top of Mera are stunning and a fascinating part of the world. Good to have a target to work towards in the year. Best wishes
m0unt41n 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Game of Conkers:
> (In reply to trollman) If only you had posted this a few weeks ago...UKCs resident Himalayan trekking empresario has decided to take a break from posting on here
>

*<|
the thread seems to have vanished?
 Guy 04 Jan 2013
In reply to trollman: The Amphu Lapsa is a fantastic col but very exposed and requires some technical ability. I loved the walk all the way from Mera up to AL, it had a lovely remoteness to it.

Go for it, you wont regret it.
 Tom Briggs 04 Jan 2013
trollman 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Guy: yes I'm defiantly going to book this up, love going to the alps but need trip of a lifetime to fire me up!
Iv got to decided which company to go with, both are vy good, similar prices, shame, iv
just spent 12(wet) days in the lakes, should of gone in for a chat, the other company begins with J?
Any first hand advice
Thanks
trollman 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Briggs: ha, Sod's law, just away typing and missed your post
no, not a trek, which is what I'm after, im wanting a bit of rope/axe action, stunning views so hoping this might fit the bill, I guess the company beginning
with J will be you rec then,
T
 Tom Briggs 04 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Guy)
> Any first hand advice

Take it steady on the trek into Mera.
Trek via Pangkongma, rather than going directly into the Hinku Valley over the Zatrwa La (better for acclimatisation).
Expect Mera to be very cold (plastics and mitts essential).
Enjoy the remoteness of the Hongu Valley, but don't be there is the weather's bad!
For the Amphu Labtsa, you want to be sure you're comfortable moving on loose rocky ground in crampons, and abseiling...

Tom Briggs 04 Jan 2013
trollman 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Briggs: oh wow, I am going there, all the Saturdays I
end up having to work will now have a purpose, thanks guys for your feedback, I will
pay my deposit tomorrow, no mucking around, job done
Cheers T

Guy 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Tom Briggs: Thanks for correcting my spelling!
 Superchop75 04 Jan 2013
In reply to trollman:

Take the advice from Tom.

I did this two years ago. Jagged Globe are fantastic and you will love the Summit Hotel in Kathmandu too !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...