/ Subluminal rescue, Swanage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Helen Heanes - on 05 Jan 2013
Hi.

Anyone know anything else about the climber needding to be pulled out of Subluminal yesterday?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-20909402

ta h
Jamie B - on 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Helen Heanes:

Total speculation, but it does look like nobody knew how to either (a) use a prussik to ascend or (b) do a hoist.
Trangia - on 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

Again total speculation (but what the hell, as it sounds as though this incident had a happy ending?)

The climber may have been leading which would have made rescue by his second a problem?
cuppatea on 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Helen Heanes:

An expensive way of doing it, I would speculate that the local cliff rescue volunteer Coastguard lads would have been much cheaper...

Jamie B - on 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Trangia:

"His fellow climbers were unable to pull him back to the top" suggests to me that someone (partner or other climbers) were able to get a rope above him (if it wasn't there already) but unable to progress the situation from there.

Agree, speculation is much more fun when nobody got hurt!
Pagan - on 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

Or climb the Diff to get out.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Jamie B - on 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Pagan:

> Or climb the Diff to get out.

That might not be an option if he was on the wrong side of the "bad step" or unable/unwilling to untie and traverse unroped, possibly amid high seas.

I've seen beginners, particularly unfit or obese ones who after a few climbs would not have been able to pull themselves up a Swanage Diff (seem to remember it's still quite steep). Add wet holds (maybe the weather changed?) and a sometimes intimidating atmosphere and you have a need to hoist!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.