/ Gortex in hot countries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
2222 - on 05 Jan 2013
Hi All. I'm going away to Mexico in a month or so, spending a fair bit of time in the mountains, trekking and rock climbing etc. I currently own a nice pair of Merrell approach shoes, which I have used all over the UK for trekking. These are Goretex lined and have been a good pair of shoes so far. I've been told not to take them as they will smell quite badly in the hot Mexican weather. Has anyone had poor experiences with Goretex in hot countries? Can anyone recommend a good pair of approach shoes that are non Goretex and breathable? Or any advice on stopping them smelling would be useful!
highclimber - on 05 Jan 2013
In reply to 2222: It's not the heat that is the problem with Gore liners - it's humidity. there needs to be a difference in humidity for it to work effectively. I wouldn't wear gore lined shoes in anything other than british style weather.
Banj - on 05 Jan 2013
In reply to 2222: I do a lot of bush trekking in West Africa in temperatures up to 40 degrees Celsius. The combination that works best for me is Goretex trail running shoes (North Face Hedgehog and Saloman XA Pro Ultra GTX most recently) with merino wool socks. The ambient temp is so high that the thick socks actually make your feet cooler and keep them dry. . .
I tried my non-Goretex Merrells but wet grass was a problem. My brother has a pair of Ecco hiking shoes with some silver anti bacterial tech that also don't develop smells. . .
xoran - on 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Banj: If its that hot would your feet and shoes not dry out quite quickly? I've used a pair of La Sportiva crosslites in switzerland quite happily. I took a pair of innov8 goretex boots travelling with me and my feet just got way to sweaty in hot/humid countries.
2222 - on 05 Jan 2013
In reply to 2222: Thanks for your replies! I have decided to buy a new pair of Merrel ventalators - they where pretty cheap on discount so I will take both pairs! Cheers for the advice
ads.ukclimbing.com
almost sane - on 05 Jan 2013
In reply to 2222: If it is hot and you are covering a lot of ground, best thing is to take something that fits well.

Depending where you go, it might not be that hot. Or it might be. Depending where you go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.