UKC

Making Tea on Expedition?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 antwan 05 Jan 2013
Just wondering how you go about the logistics involved with making a decent cup of tea when your on a multi day trip in the wilds?
 metal arms 05 Jan 2013
In reply to antwan:

Heat water.
Add to cup with tea bag pre-inserted.
Leave to brew.
Mash briefly.
Add milk to taste.
Enjoy with a biscuit or cake.

N.B. If the expedition is well organised your butler should be able to do all bar the last of these steps. He may also enjoy tea and cake but that should be in the servants quarters if you are doing things properly.
 uncontrollable 05 Jan 2013
In reply to antwan:

I generally don't bother and make proper (filter) coffee instead
 Bradders 05 Jan 2013
In reply to antwan: I always find that if i take Russians with me you will always have a good cup of tea. But perhaps its because the Russians i know drink tea in place of vodka...
 Siward 05 Jan 2013
In reply to antwan:
1) Boil water
2) When nearly boiling take a bit of water off into a tin mug and mix with milk powder, thus making sure no lumps.
3) Throw teabags into now boiling water. Add sugar (brown- only ever add sugar when camping)
4) Simmer for a minute or so. Add milk mix and allow to cool before drinking.

Been doing it this way for ever. Nice strong sweet tea,
Coffee- no.
 ClayClay 05 Jan 2013
In reply to antwan: Don't they put instructions on boxes of PG tips now?
 nniff 05 Jan 2013
In reply to antwan:

Instant lemon tea with lots of sugar or black filter coffee
 obi-wan nick b 05 Jan 2013
In reply to antwan: Generally involves a visit to Fortnums for sufficient fresh supplies of First Flush Darjeeling or FTGFOP if slumming it
 sbc_10 05 Jan 2013
In reply to antwan:

...more like

-Heat grass/crumb/bug infested liquid to hyperboiling point.
-Aim magma at cup but miss with 55% of liquid and scold climbing injuries from previous day .
-Balance on uneven turf/hat/guidebook.
-Mash very briefly as you are as dehydrated as a dead dingo's donger
-Add milk powder to inner tent.
-Enjoy, awwh yes.You earned it.
Jim C 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Siward:
> (In reply to antwan)
> 1) Boil water
> 2) I usually leave teabag ON the spout of kettle where the steam/water vapour pre moistens and heats the leafs as it boils ,then I just , tilt the water and tea bag into the mug and stir, remove bag (for any mates who like weak tea.)
> 3)Add milk
(usually lumpy powder, so maybe I have had a tip here on per mixing in a little hot water which I will try)

my belief is , I can get my brew quicker /better that way, but not done any scientific tests to prove it, so just my preference to pre steam heat the bag
almost sane 05 Jan 2013
In reply to antwan:
Get wakened in the morning by the kitchen boy saying "Bed tea."
Blearily unzip sleeping bag enough to find mug.
Unzip tent door just enough to put mug outside.
Bring mug back inside filled with sweet massala chai.
Sip and enjoy.
Emerge from tent refreshed and ready to face the world.

Works for me!
 mypyrex 05 Jan 2013
In reply to metal arms: Bit like the ridiculous comment "serving suggestion" on food packaging:

http://whartsonhall.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/serving-suggestion.jpg
 Dauphin 05 Jan 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

What an odd game of Tennis.

D
abseil 06 Jan 2013
In reply to antwan:

1. Make long walk to Starbux or cafe of your choice.
2. Make long walk back to wilds.
 scottie390 06 Jan 2013
In reply to antwan:

you say 'Fancy a Brew?'
your Partner says 'if your makin one'

you get stove and gas out as well as metal mug. you get some snow from arms reach of the tent ensuring its not yellow.

you melt snow in metal mug until it boils, you then add a tea bad that you stole from mcdonalds or else where, you then pour less than half into your mates mug and both drink it.

you do not wash your mug and proceed to eat from it for the entire trip until tea becomes super noodle, curry, tomato flavoured tea

job done
James Jackson 06 Jan 2013
In reply to antwan:

Jetboil. It's all about the Jetboil.
 Hannes 06 Jan 2013
In reply to antwan: I think we went through 400 tea bags between the four of us in Kyrgyzstan over a month but also some loose peppermint leaves and twigs we made tea from. I'm quite partial to a two stove set up so that way when your first cup is being drunk the second pot of water is already heating up, it also allows for making tea at the same time as pasta. I recommend the primus omnifuel though as it was quite happy running on 80 octane petrol with lumps in it.
 Reach>Talent 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Hannes:
I recommend the primus omnifuel though as it was quite happy running on 80 octane petrol with lumps in it.

80 octane, I've drunk stuff with a higher octane rating than that! You'd have been better off burning water

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...