UKC

Top 100 Posters for 2012

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Forums 06 Jan 2013
Happy New Year to you all!

Due to popular demand, we've compiled a list of the top 100 posters for the whole of 2012.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/top100.html

Who will be at the top of the leaderboard in 2013?

See http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=488266 for last year's discussion.

TobyA 06 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC Forums: It's a bit odd because I'm rarely in the weekly top 10 but still come out top of this chart? I have the pub turned off and have never posted in that forum so it seems rather tilted towards non pub users? I suspect if off belay was also removed from the count (or the pub put in) the numbers would change a lot?
 JoshOvki 06 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Toby stop trying to come out with excuses, and accept it
In reply to TobyA: there's lies, damned lies and then there's statistics!
 Run_Ross_Run 06 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Tall Clare will be along anytime soon demanding a re-count. ;|
 TobyA 06 Jan 2013
In reply to JoshOvki: I know if I could also take out pointless political arguments with Bruce and what ever name naedanger is using for herself now, I'd be about 134. Maybe I just turn off "off belay" this year too!
 Bruce Hooker 06 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC Forums:

I find my position quite depressing
 jon 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

You mean that Toby beat you?
 Bruce Hooker 06 Jan 2013
In reply to jon:

No, that I should be there at all. Every time I found myself creeping up the charts I tried to stop posting but I suppose it's the consistency over the year that adds up.... But I'm doing it again in replying to you... I just can't stop replying - I hardly ever start threads.

The truth is that it's the result of forced inactivity and boredom in fact... which is why I say it's depressing
 jon 06 Jan 2013

Yes, I was just joking. I knew what you meant. Don't reply to this... just as I shouldn't have replied to you!
 TobyA 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Bruce Hooker: and don't worry old bean, if you don't post in the "the pub" much you're probably not posting as much as some others I think. Maybe this year I'll persuade you of the error of your ways and you'll just be able to post "I agree!" and then go out for a walk etc.
 wilkie14c 06 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> you'll just be able to post "I agree!" and then go out for a walk etc

Na its considered bad form to post replies to your own posts!
 fmck 06 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC Forums:
Quarter of a million words!
That's outrageous and very impressive, congratulations.
I assume it was all very worthwhile reading : )
 fmck 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Bruce Hooke
R U climbers or fat blokes wi several kids these days.
 Bruce Hooker 06 Jan 2013
In reply to fmck:
> In reply to Bruce Hooke
> R U climbers or fat blokes wi several kids these days.

There's only one of me and yes I have 3 children, but the youngest is 21, still a student so still takes time. I climbed a lot when young, then more or less stopped for 25 years apart from a bit of bouldering at Fontainebleau, I live just nearby.

I started again about 10 years ago, Alps, rocks, skiing, as the kids had grown up (except one) so I became a "climber" again in the active sense, but once a climber always a climber in the head. 18 months ago a had to stop for health reasons which are still not sorted, probably never will be, so that's why I'm posting so much - I didn't realise how much though and I'm pretty horrified... no need to rub salt in the wound

Yes, that's quite an output Bruce!

To be fair, my lowly position would be much higher if I had a job where I could freely post throughout the day, like some others on here with very accommodating employers!

All the best with your health concerns; having been prevented from doing anything more active than walking a couple of miles on level ground for the last 6 weeks by a flair up of a back problem, the thought of it persisting and the impact that would have on my chance to do anything adventurous, or even just carry my youngest in a backpack for a day walk, is sobering,

Cheers
Gregor
 Blue Straggler 06 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to UKC Forums) It's a bit odd because I'm rarely in the weekly top 10 but still come out top of this chart? I have the pub turned off and have never posted in that forum so it seems rather tilted towards non pub users? I suspect if off belay was also removed from the count (or the pub put in) the numbers would change a lot?

You're correct, but the "rules" are the same for everyone and they are clearly explained. NO EXCUSES!

ice.solo 07 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Its word count based.
If you stopped with the reasoned, researched, explained and detailed posts constructed into actual debate reflecting the complexities of the matters you post about, and just blurted out reactionary cliches in single sentances of unthinking bullshit youd be much lower down.

You too bruce.

Offwidth 07 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

"It's a bit odd because I'm rarely in the weekly top 10 but still come out top of this chart? I have the pub turned off and have never posted in that forum so it seems rather tilted towards non pub users?"

Spot on. The annual list is a wake up call really. Remember how long a PhD thesis is! I try to stick mostly to climbing posts and try (not always with much success) to make posts helpful as its too easy to get dragged into pointless arguments. I'd rather you'd keep up your bad habits though as the site needs such as you. Like those others who post positive useful, thoughtful and research based stuff, in contrast to those waving their empty bitter polemic or fathomless negative contrary humour.
Hirosim 07 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC Forums:

Top 100 Posters = Top 100 Losers
 Blue Straggler 07 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> Its word count based.

I assume that this is part of your joke but just in case it's not, er, it's not
 nniff 07 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC Forums:

This is like Alcoholics Anonymous but without the anonymity. "I'm nniff and I have a posting problem" - Yes, I know - my posts are all rubbish, before any of you have a dig!
Simon_Sheff 07 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC Forums:

Popular demand? Are people asking for their 'post count'.............
Simon_Sheff 07 Jan 2013
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

You lot need to get out a bit.........
In reply to Simon_Sheff: My 2013 was wrecked when I couldn't find the Top 100 on News Years Day - poor showing by Nick. I needed to do my own research to find out who I could take the mick out of for posting!
In reply to Simon_Sheff:
> (In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat)
> [...]
>
>
> You lot need to get out a bit.........

Everyone in the top 100 does.

Offwidth 07 Jan 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

"Everyone in the top 100 does."

Only in the sense that most of us post when we can't get out (work, stuck at home, rain stopped play, dark outside, injured, etc). I bet the top 100 have a better average climbing CV than the average UKC visitor outside the 100.

Simon_Sheff 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
>
> "Everyone in the top 100 does."
>
> Only in the sense that most of us post when we can't get out (work, stuck at home, rain stopped play, dark outside, injured, etc). I bet the top 100 have a better average climbing CV than the average UKC visitor outside the 100.

Everyone else had those issues as well - only they don't spend their lives posting relentlessly.
Anyway it was only light hearted - don't be so touchy
 Offwidth 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Simon_Sheff:

How we spend our lives when we are not climbing is up to us really isn't it? From the trivial to the serious I don't clean my car much, or have to look after kids (etc).

As for being touchy, ditto for you... I'm only stating the obvious, plenty of climbing fanatics on that list are a long way from being armchair warriors or are only there after a well desrved retirement. The fact is that not everyone reading these threads will know that and the impression could be that some people are just living a fantasy like many do on facebook etc.
 Tom Last 07 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC Forums:

I scored 0.321 logged climbing experiences per post.

From a personal perspective, I definitely need to get out more.
 The Ivanator 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Southern Man: At 0.296 routes per post I'm even more in need of getting out. So far this year though this is my 4th post and 16 routes are in the bag!
 Blue Straggler 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Southern Man:

I barely log my climbs, before anyone judges!
 GrahamD 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I may have scored embarrasingly high on forum posts but at least I don't waste time 'logging', so my climb to post ratio comes out as zero
Simon_Sheff 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Simon_Sheff)
>
>
>
> As for being touchy, ditto for you... I'm only stating the obvious, plenty of climbing fanatics on that list are a long way from being armchair warriors or are only there after a well desrved retirement. The fact is that not everyone reading these threads will know that and the impression could be that some people are just living a fantasy like many do on facebook etc.

I'm not being touchy, I find it all quite amusing

Lukem6 08 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC Forums: So 100 top poster but who out of these would be Nominees for the,

Most Helpfull =

Most Climbing topics =

Most Non Climbing post =

Highest good weather day poster(when they should've been climbing) =

and Last but not least, Top Troll =
 Milesy 16 Jan 2013
I have the joy of working in IT so I spend 16 hours day many days just now in front of a computer to make a living and make up for a wife on maternity leave. Cest la vie.
In reply to UKC Forums: Just been challenged about my UKC posting habits by my girlfriend and lost!

I was convinced I wouldn't be in the top 100 but she was right I was...

On the bright side I can claim quality over quantity (or I just waffle better than most). I come 3rd in words per post but I must confess that I'm surprised that I'm 19th in terms of total word count
 Offwidth 16 Jan 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

Your posts that I've read are some of the best here IMHO; don't you cut-and-paste sometimes though on technical info? I certainly do sometimes and I type very fast and mot worry overmuch about spelling and typos.
 Enty 16 Jan 2013
In reply to jon:

I scanned the leaderboard and I was going to send you an email taking the mick that you were 33 - then I scanned it again and saw I was 12 - how the f**k that happened I'll never know.

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...