/ Food Banks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Blizzard - on 06 Jan 2013
In these time of Austerity (not for all of use I might add) apparently their use is a necessity for some and on the increase, personally do you know anyone who has used them?
Timmd on 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Blizzard:I'm going to hazard a guess that nobody does, or very few people.
Blizzard - on 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Timmd:

Thats not the impression the press give
saul - on 06 Jan 2013
SAF - on 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
I read an article in the news on this topic too. It was about a man who was having to depend on food banks...previously he had driven an exclusive car, owned a rolex and worn armani and versace suits. Maybe if he had saved a bit more of his money in the good times he wouldn't have been reliant on the food banks now...I found it very hard to feel pity for him!!!
Timmd on 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> Thats not the impression the press give

That wasn't what I had in mind, it's more that the demographics which UKCers come from was, in how well they're doing now even if some might come from humble backgrounds.

I could easily be wrong though...
Dax H - on 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Blizzard: I know one person, well family that use one.
They can afford to smike and drink and buy weed but they cant afford food for the kids.
marsbar - on 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Blizzard: I have known people use them when benefits haven't come through, or if they are not entitled to benefits. It can take quite some time to get the paperwork sorted out and actually get any money. In the job I was in at the time we would rather give people food than cash, but we wouldn't expect to be giving food parcels as a long term solution to the same person, just as an emergency back up.

If people are being irresponsible and spending money meant for their kids food on fags/booze/drugs and regularly relying on food banks then that's not doing anyone any favours. TBH in that situation my boss would have been ringing social services.
thin bob on 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
yes, I know two that have said they've used them.
One of them was let down on a contract job, the other does two or more days voluntary work outside of childcare responsibilities.

Look at the Trussell Trust or Fareshare for more info.
syv_k - on 06 Jan 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Not in my social circle, but I volunteer at the citizens advice bureau and we give out food bank vouchers all the time. Usually it is to cover someone for the gap between wages ending for whatever reason and Jobseeker's Allowance / sickness benefits being approved and paid. Or benefits or tax credits getting randomly stopped for some other reason. If you swap from one kind of benefit to another or move house then lots of related benefits like housing benefit will stop and can take a while to restart. Also people can be in debt and working to save the amount needed to enable them to deal with the debt, or paid out everything on a housing rental deposit and not got the old deposit back yet. Our local food bank will only give food out a maximum of three times so those who have a longer term problem with not making ends meet will have to find another solution.
Timmd on 07 Jan 2013
In reply to syv_k:I'm pleased i'm turning out to be wrong.
Darren Jackson - on 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Timmd:
>
> I'm pleased i'm turning out to be wrong.

Why?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.