UKC

hand made or repurposed items for outdoors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gordo 06 Jan 2013
hello just wondering if there is anybody out there that has done what is in the title and what they made or improved upon to suit there needs.

so far i have made a chalk bag.
In reply to gordo:

A little plastic tube that clips over the mouthpiece on my platypus. So you don't have to be careful the mouthpiece doesn't end up in the dirt when you take your pack off.
 another_alex 06 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo: nothing yet, but very interested in the idea. Would be interested to hear what other people are doing
 deepstar 06 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo:Being a fat git I have added shoulder straps to my harness(we used to do this with Troll waist belts back in the 70`s because of the weight of the ironmongery we used to carry on aid routes)I find it more comfortable and it does`nt effect the safety of the harness.
 Bimble 06 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo:

Fire steel made from some Fallow antler (now with leather cord)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/550260_1015122600825...

Puukko for bushcraft/hunting/not worrying about weight

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/188589_1015122562954...
 Elrond 06 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo:

I made a jacket out of an old army issue wool jacket and its fantastic! Slightly drizzle-proof, but certainly keeps me warm!! Best jacket I've had!
 marsbar 06 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo: I made a chalk bag from old jeans on the outside and an old fleece on the inside.

Simon Wells 06 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo:
Pot cozy and lid from old matt, bring food to boil, pop in cozy, slap on lid and then leave for 20 minutes. Food cooked, can't burn it and saves crazy amounts of fuel, ie 250g gas for two people bivying at 2500m each night for 8 nights.

I show a lot of people on ML's etc yet very rarely see it used, saves a lot of fuel, ie 100g cartridge for 7 nights solo trip sleeping from 1300 to 3000 each night.

Awesome and super cheap.
 wilkie14c 06 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo:
The 'pentahex' wind shield/pot support/heat chamber & coke-can 'penny' stove that all fits inside a titan pot with fuel and full brew up kit. Still use it today. Things all got a bit OCD over at outdoorsmagic during design and build, I was doing 3 bottles of meths a day but I got over it and those hours spent designing and building will mean I can have a brew up anywhere in the world where they have tin cans

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/how-to-make-meths-stoves-qandampa/2...
OP gordo 06 Jan 2013
i made the coke can meths stove before but drilled the holes with a small drill bit how would you go about making them in the field ?

i like the plastic tube idea for the platypus might give that one a go.

had the idea of modifying a walking pole so it could double up as a mono pod not yet tried though.

OP gordo 06 Jan 2013
iv thought about making a knife before did you buy a kit or from stuff you have found
 wilkie14c 06 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo: Anything, there isn't an exact science I've found - drawingpin, nail or literally 'in the field' a point off some barbed wire
 Blue Straggler 06 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo:
> iv thought about making a knife before did you buy a kit or from stuff you have found

If you have an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, it only takes a minute to make a knife

youtube.com/watch?v=6vpheup5PUY&
In reply to Blue Straggler:

What happened to the Chris Tan (?) Death products pages. Wasn't there a plastic bag screamer
 KellyKettle 07 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo: I've made pile thermal midlayers (Protip: turns out its an absolute pain to sew double sided pile fabric with anything but an overlocker), A pertex windshirt and waterproof breathable trousers (these were not a success, because I was constrained to glue-taping rather than heat taping the seams, the seams were stiff making the trousers feel restrictive).

I've drawn up a pattern for a softshell all in one suit, but I've never been entirely happy with the details, there is a prototype made from cheap cotton somewhere, which would help me better understand the flaws, but it's not a priority.

I also have some designs for engineered timber technical axes, but there are potential problems with the design that's easiest to build and I lack the metalworking facilities to realise design i feel would be best. If I get some spare time, I may still give it a shot then see what it turns out like.
ice.solo 07 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo:

ive had lots of my own designs made for me, but not done the actual making part.

as for what ive done myself: hanging kit for jetboil, rope bags, insulated sleeves for thermarests/heat reflective sleeves for camel baks.

does using a ziplok as a map case count?
 Only a hill 07 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo:
I've made an ice axe and hailed my own winter boots. it's rewarding!
 Blue Straggler 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

You hail a lot of your own products
 nniff 07 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo:

Double ice screw clipper made from two old krabs and some coathanger wire.
Anti-balling plates - from bleach bottle plastic, coathanger wire and zip ties.
Titanium mug cosy from an old sleeping mat
Ice axe and bulldog protectors - from garden hose.
Folding base plate for a petrol stove - from three petal-shaped pieces of aluminium sheet and a bolt.
Grenade tins - pots for the stove - one large, one small - grenades and fuses respectively - with lids. Very well travelled.
Big, car camping stove windshield: two one foot square pieces of sheet metal with a pair of hinges holding them together.
Ice screw winder - from some fencing wire, a bit of plastic tube and some shock cord. Works well - I'm pretty indifferent now between turbo express type handled screws and plain ones. It's particularly good if you're pumped because you can get a full fist on it rather than just finger and thumb.
Pace counters - a few cord grips on shock cord on rucksac straps - 4 on one side (200,400,600,800m) and 3 on the other - 1,2,and 3 km
 mattsccm 07 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo:
Homemade Goretex super gaiters Glued to Koflacks, Rock pegs from car half shafts, (left my best in Great Gully,Carneddau during an epic,) Friend removers, chalk bags, Over trousers (still great 30 years later) various fleece jumpers( the thing to do in early '90's Llanberis). Wooden wedges, dropped the picks on several ice hammers, restuffed several duvet jkts, knitted gloves, several hanging stoves set ups from sheet alloy.Probably more as I was always to tight to buy stuff.
 Wingnut 07 Jan 2013
 girlymonkey 07 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo:
I made my husband a crampon bag for his Christmas, I even embroidered his initials on it It's bright red, so easy to find if it blows away.
 Only a hill 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Only a hill)
>
> You hail a lot of your own products

D'oh! I meant nailed...
 tlm 07 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo:

Stitched ice axe loops onto rucksac, so that they couldn't blow away in the breeze. Changed the clips on them for one's that didn't need threading. Added a chest strap.
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 07 Jan 2013
 Bimble 07 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo:
> iv thought about making a knife before did you buy a kit or from stuff you have found

I made that one using a kit that PixieNinja got me for my b'day. However, there's plenty of sites out there selling the blades & bolsters, as well as a huge range of handle materials. I've got a fair few different lumps of timber seasoning now, including a beautifully grained bit of Silver Birch I scavenged, which are to be used for more knife handles in the future.
 Ed Navigante 07 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieSparkes:

I still remember seeing those at Pembroke and being massively envious
 Blue Straggler 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> [...]
>
> D'oh! I meant nailed...

In fairness I did check that there was no such thing as "hailing" a boot - for all I knew, what with your Victoriana fetish, it might have been some specific technique from the nineteenth century
OP gordo 12 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo: how did you go about making the hanging stove a few bits of chain and what are they like to use
 mattsccm 12 Jan 2013
In reply to gordo:
Old files make good knives. Get them nice and red and hammer away. Re- temper afterwards. Antler for handle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...