UKC

Hub gears on a Brompton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 07 Jan 2013
Anyone knw how reliable hub gears are? Mine keep engaging/disengaging. This has coincided with me taking back wheel off to fix a puncture. Could I have messed them up temporarily or permanently? Thanks. I've tried fixing it of course.
 Hairy Pete 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Phil1919: Probably needs adjusting:

http://support.brompton.co.uk/entries/21697347-adjust-the-3-speed-gear-hub

Turn the volume down at the start! Did you take the chain/rod out completely? If so, did you put it back all the way?
OP Phil1919 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Hairy Pete: Thanks, that was good. No the chain /rod didn't come out completely.
 nniff 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Phil1919:

Going back in time a bit, and assuming 3 speed Sturmey Archer

Put the bike into second. Move the pedals back and forth so that you can feel the drive being taken up, and slowly move the gear lever/twist grip from 2nd to 3rd (note - it's some time since I last did this - it may be third into second - go whichever way is tightening the cable). You can move the pedals by hand, but it's easier freewheeling gently somewhere where your total lack of concentration on your surroundings won't get you killed. At some point, the gears will slip. You need to adjust the wee chain so that that slipping point is mid way between 2nd and 3rd. Make sure that you use the little lock-nut to hold it in place when you're done. When you think you goit it right, check it again as above. 1st and 2nd will be fine if 2nd and 3rd are right.
 JLS 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Phil1919:

Not sure what the video shows but again assuming 3 speed Sturmey Archer...

Normally to set the gears you'd put the gear lever/changer in second and adjust the cable tension at the little chain that comes out of the hub.

The tension should be set so that the point at which the wee chain ends and the long thin pin begins (the pin shoulder) is flush with the end of the spindle (while in second gear). You should be able to see/check this through the side viewing hole on the special extended wheel nut.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...