UKC

Drakestone Bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stix 07 Jan 2013
Just wanted to make people aware of the bouldering possibilities around the Drakestone near Harbottle in Northumberland. I live in the village and have been developing the boulders during the holidays over the last few years. Just wanted to share the fun with those of you in the County. Loads of potential for harder projects too, which I can't do. Here's just a quick vid of a project I managed to do at the weekend before going back to Uni vimeo.com/56858162 x
 JDal 07 Jan 2013
In reply to stix:

That's a coincidence, we've got a cottage in the village! Yes, there's a lot of stuff isn't there. A couple of decades ago another climber, Andrew Phillipson lived there as well and he did stuff at Dove Crag (his pegs are still there).

Re the bouldering, Chris Graham has done some hard stuff on that giant Neb beyond the big pinnacle on Harbottle Crag, on the bit inside the ranges boundary. And there's good potential for hard highballish problems on the pinnacle there. Bob Smith has done some stuff on the boulders around the Drakestone itself. I was going do dig out the finishes on Walby's hole above the village, it's a fine cave. And I was a bit disappointed to find out that Steve Blake soloed all the stuff on Yearning Crag years ago. Thought I had a discovery!

None of this ever amounted to enough to be worth a full guidebook entry, although Chris Graham did document his problems on his now defunct website. If you want to document what you've done we can stick it on the NMC online guide.
OP stix 07 Jan 2013
In reply to JDal:
That would be brilliant actually, I'll try and collect all the decent problems I've managed to do and send them over to you. It would just be nice if the place got a bit more traffic =D
 JDal 07 Jan 2013
In reply to stix:

I've stuck some stuff for what we're calling Back Harbottle Crag on the guide just as a taster.

http://thenmc.org.uk/onlineguide/index.php?v=4&s=3&id=116&sid=8

For stuff you want to get up there, I need enough info to fill in the details - GR, Altitude, How to find it, pics, topos (including obvious projects). The stuff around and about the Drakestone itself can go on the Drakestone section.

But be warned - you won't get traffic unless there are enough quality problems, or one or two hard top-notch classics. It's a long way to go! A lot of stuff is on the guide as much for the record as anything.
OP stix 07 Jan 2013
In reply to JDal:
I'm away at University at the moment but I'm back at Easter - end of March, and would be quite happy to show you around the stuff that I've done, if thats more agreeable? plus getting a second opinion on grades is always a bonus
 JDal 07 Jan 2013
In reply to stix: Yeah, a look around would be nice. I can't help on the grades much though, I've done nowt for a couple of years now
OP stix 07 Jan 2013
In reply to JDal: Ok, I'll drop you an email closer to the date, thankyou =)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...