UKC

the ice it cometh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alburns 07 Jan 2013
taken from Yahoo news today

Britain could shiver in near-freezing temperatures by the end of this week as a cold spell signals an end to the unseasonably warm start to 2013.

A mild start to the year saw highs of 13C in some parts of Britain, but the warmer weather will finish on Thursday when the mercury could drop by as much as 10C.

As well as frostier temperatures, there will also be a fresh onslaught of rain, with up to 10mm of rain expected for England and Wales on Thursday.

By Friday, forecasters predicted clearer skies and more sun, which will lead to icy weather across the UK.

Forecasts indicate that temperatures could plunge to 0C in the north east by Thursday night into Friday morning.

Douglas Griffin 07 Jan 2013
In reply to alburns:

> Forecasts indicate that temperatures could plunge to 0C in the north east by Thursday night into Friday morning.

As low as that, eh?
 davy_boy 07 Jan 2013

> Forecasts indicate that temperatures could plunge to 0C in the north east by Thursday night into Friday morning.

better order one of those expedition down suits and 8000m boots then not sure if i can cope with those sorts of extreme temps.
alburns 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin: its a start lol
alburns 07 Jan 2013
In reply to davy_boy: theres one on ebay £200
 davy_boy 07 Jan 2013
In reply to alburns:i better get bidding then lol
 Pay Attention 07 Jan 2013
In reply to alburns:

It's on eBay for 200 because it's marked down?

Boom tish.
 JIMBO 07 Jan 2013
In reply to alburns: well nature's telling me that winter is over. Yeah, you heard right girlfriend. Snowdrops have been and gone and the daffodils are out... Official, spring has sprung...
ice.solo 07 Jan 2013
In reply to alburns:
> (In reply to davy_boy) theres one on ebay £200

be careful. an amazing number of everesteers have tales of getting things wrong and taking a dump in the hood...
 martinph78 08 Jan 2013
In reply to alburns: I'd just be glad to see the back of all this rain!
alburns 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Pay attention: boom boom
alburns 08 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo: thanks for that I will only look at "new with tags"
 CurlyStevo 08 Jan 2013
In reply to alburns:
from a "reliable" source (MWIS)

"Planning Outlook: All mountain areas of Britain from Thursday, 10th January, 2013
Confidence in the detail is very low over the next week, with Britain frequently lying within a broad often cloudy and
intermittently wet zone between cold air to the east and warmer air over the Atlantic. A significant minority of forecasts
eventually suggest very cold conditions with significant snow on mainly eastern mountains. Broadly though over the next
week, freezing levels will be in the range 750-1050m, and occasionally lower."
 CurlyStevo 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Toreador:
cool - thanks... I've heard of the phenomenon recently but didn't know it had just occurred
 LakesWinter 08 Jan 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: It has been occurring and is occurring as we speak. We are in wave 1 of a predicted 3 wave event.
 Kid Spatula 08 Jan 2013
In reply to alburns:

Please have completely plastered the Northern Corries by Mid Feb. Please!
 droites 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Kid Spatula: all of feb. except the last week. Wall to wall sunshine and blue skies please!!
Flat4matt 08 Jan 2013
There on the 4th feb for afew days!! Fingers crossed!
 CurlyStevo 09 Jan 2013
In reply to LakesWinter:
MWIS are now saying roughly 50% chance of significant cold.

"Confidence in the detail remains low over the next week to ten days. This weekend, a pulse of cold air will push west
across Britain, bringing snow to eastern mountains, but very little elsewhere.
Often cloudy and intermittently wet (mainly showery) early next week with freezing level 600 to 800m. Beyond, now
around 50% of forecast models suggest periods of significant cold and particularly on northern and eastern mountains,
snowfall, but there remains marked variability, with some forecasts suggesting much less cold conditions."
 Milesy 09 Jan 2013
In reply to droites:
> (In reply to Kid Spatula) all of feb. except the last week. Wall to wall sunshine and blue skies please!!

That's not much good without precipitation first.
 jhw 09 Jan 2013
Norway.
 droites 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Milesy: yeah, very true.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...