UKC

Video Camera?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NathanW 07 Jan 2013
Hello, I've always been interested in filming and making videos and was wondering what would be the best camera to take some great videos with? And what editing software is also really good? I've used adobe and was wondering whether there's anything better? Thanks
 Mark Haward 07 Jan 2013
In reply to NathanW:
Camera: The Go Pros can produce great footage - especially if used in a variety of ways and even better if backed up by a more verstatile camera. Waterproof housing useful for your deep water soloing too!
Personally I use a Panasonic HDC-SD9 as well. High quality, very compact can go in a small camera pouch on the harness.
I use a Mac so great and easy to use video editing is all inclusive. Can mix video / photos / sound / effects everything.
OP NathanW 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Mark / Alps:
> (In reply to NathanW)
> Camera: The Go Pros can produce great footage - especially if used in a variety of ways and even better if backed up by a more verstatile camera. Waterproof housing useful for your deep water soloing too!
> Personally I use a Panasonic HDC-SD9 as well. High quality, very compact can go in a small camera pouch on the harness.
> I use a Mac so great and easy to use video editing is all inclusive. Can mix video / photos / sound / effects everything.

Thanks very much, I own a go pro but was looking for a camera that I can use for great detailed shots when bouldering, any ideas?
 Keendan 07 Jan 2013
 BALD EAGLE 08 Jan 2013
In reply to NathanW:

Hi Nathan
I've just got into filming in the last year and use a HD Panasonic V700 (retails for about £330) backed up with a GoPro2 and use the Sony Vegas HP Platinum 11 editing software. It is quite easy to pick up the basics of editing using this software, but is a very powerful tool and I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do! This is my latest effort:
youtube.com/watch?v=hp-KlTNvezM&
Hope this helps and good luck!
Cheers Dave
 ChrisJD 08 Jan 2013
In reply to NathanW:

Software - also have a look at CyberLink PowerDirector 11.
 Fraser 08 Jan 2013
In reply to NathanW:

Your best bet might be to watch some comparison videos on YouTube.

I got a Sony CX-115 (£275) a couple of years ago and use Sony Vegas to edit. One word of advice, check the file format the camera saves the video as - Sony & Panasonic cameras generate .mts files, which aren't readily editable out of camera. This is the reason I went for Vegas as an editor as I can do so without translating to .avi or .mp4 first. Not much is going to beat Adobe Premier though!

Also, I bought a 3rd party wide angle lens off Amazon for about £30, which has a really good macro facility too, if you 'split' the lens and is something I'd recommend.
 kevin stephens 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Fraser:
How does the video performance of good quality compact cameras (eg Canon G15) or latest DSLRs compare to dedicated video cameras?
 DreadyCraig 08 Jan 2013
In reply to NathanW:
If your budget stretches, DLRS have amazing video quality. They also offer a greater degree of creative control than a standard camcorder. Swapping lenses for different situations is also handy.
 Fraser 08 Jan 2013
In reply to kevin stephens:
> (In reply to Fraser)
> How does the video performance of good quality compact cameras (eg Canon G15) or latest DSLRs compare to dedicated video cameras?

I don't know, sorry, but what DreadyC says above seems sensible. I know on my DSLR however, (Nikon D5000) I can only record about for 4.5 mins continuously before it auto shuts off to prevent the sensor from overheating.

In general, I think the zoom facility on digicams however is much better than on stills cameras.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...