UKC

Old gore tex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 homing-penguin 07 Jan 2013
I have a decade-old Berghaus Mira Peak.

It's half dead, most the toggley bits have fallen off, its stained, UV faded and weathered, and I'm reproofing it... Or rather attempting to...

Is it possible to reproof a jacket that old? Or am I wasted time?
 jezb1 07 Jan 2013
In reply to homing-penguin: wasting your time in my opinion.
*wasting time
In reply to jezb1: Bugger. I don't want to have to spend money.
 eschaton 07 Jan 2013
In reply to homing-penguin: i have an xcr (old goretex) mera peak in excellent condition for sale very very cheap, what size are you? Yhm
ice.solo 07 Jan 2013
In reply to eschaton:

go with this. DWR reproofing is only as good as the outer surface, and if its stained it will be patchy.

theres an argument too that XCR was the gore membrane in its finest form other than being heavy (its still used in boots), so if that doesnt worry you, eschatons offer could be good (so long as the colours match your underwear of course).
Thanks, I'll probably buy another new one and see if I make it last ten years again.
 frankbabs 08 Jan 2013
In reply to homing-penguin:

Hi there,

I have an old Phoenix Goretex Jacket which I bought in 1989 and it's still going strong, ie windproof and waterproof. So I wouldn't give up on your Mera just yet!!!

Cheers
In reply to homing-penguin:

Not a waste of time, IMHO, provided the face fabric hasn't weakened, the membrane isn't delaminating, and the seam tape isn't coming away.

I'd recommend the following:

i) a good wash with detergent washing powder (no conditioner)
ii) a wash with a soap cleaner to remove the detergent residues (in a spotless washing machine; read the manual about 'service wash')
iii) proprietary reproof

Toggles can be replaced cheaply.

Renovation should cost you no more than £10.
 Nick_Scots 09 Jan 2013
In reply to homing-penguin: I use my 1992 Berghaus Trango Extreme Jacket. I can;t remember re-proofing it and still use it for Hillwalking and winter climbing. It is still both water and wind proof. The only thing wrong with it is a slight peeling off of the tape from the neck.
In reply to Scott_vzr:

Which reminds me; peeling tape can be replaced, using the same method as here:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/hill-skills/how-to-repair-torn-waterproofs/650...

Use a warm iron to remove the old tape first, then iron on the new tape.
DGM 12 Jan 2013
In reply to captain paranoia:
agree with above statements, if the outer is still in good shape it is worth the try, but if the outer layer is knackered then the treatment will be a waste of time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...