UKC

Chamonix pow stashes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hokipoki 08 Jan 2013
Off to Chamonix this Saturday, anybody keen to share their tips and secrets for fun spots in the area?

Jonny
 kevin stephens 08 Jan 2013
In reply to hokipoki:
Anything in easy reach of a lift will be tracked out. Anything needing an hour's hike or skin will still be tracked but may still be fluffy enough for some fun - enjoy
OP Anonymous 08 Jan 2013
In reply to hokipoki:

You could try Alpes Angels for some super fun times whilst in Chamonix.

They may be able to point you in the right direction for some secret spots, I've never been disapointed in their disclosures.
 andy 08 Jan 2013
In reply to hokipoki:
> Off to Chamonix this Saturday, anybody keen to share their tips and secrets for fun spots in the area?
>
> Jonny

Looking like snow next week. If it doesn't everything will be tracked out. If it does, within a day it will be tracked anyway! We're off a week Thursday and I'm having a day out with a guide to find some new places (and hopefully do the Pas de Chèvre, a long standing itch waiting to be scratched).
In reply to andy: We still got fresh tracks the day before yesterday, so if you know where to look you can always get something. That was only 40mins hike form a busy chair...

Gimme a shout and I could maybe show you some of them for the price of a beer and a burger in MBC...

andy 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Fultonius: Where is the microbrewery? We're staying up in Argentiere but we're having a night out in Cham a week on Sunday. Years since we've been to Chamonix (children, y'see...) so out of touch with where to go for beer. I think we went to Chouca and le Garage last time we stayed in town!
craigloon 08 Jan 2013
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to Fultonius) Where is the microbrewery?

On the main bus route into Cham from Argentiere, roughly opposite the swimming pool.

Frank4short 08 Jan 2013
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to Fultonius) Where is the microbrewery?

Opposite Ensa/the old olympic village. Nice bar but comparatively speaking it's way off of centre.

As to the Pas du Chevre i'd go for rectiligne first though then again all of those descents are great. Though sometimes problematic getting down the final section to the glacier unless you know exactly where you're going.
 andy 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Frank4short:
> (In reply to andy)
> [...]
>
> Opposite Ensa/the old olympic village. Nice bar but comparatively speaking it's way off of centre.
>
> As to the Pas du Chevre...unless you know exactly where you're going.

Hence going with a guide - always wanted to do it but worried about ending up in a world of pain/falling down a cliff.

Frank4short 08 Jan 2013
In reply to andy: Well we used to traverse at the top of the Nant Blanc glacier moraine until we got to the dead tree, roughly about half a click (from memory), at which point you find about a 6ft tall dead tree descend from here. There should be about 3 different exits down to the Mer du Glace from there. Though at this point local knowledge, particularly recent local knowledge helps, to choose the correct one for getting down to the glacier.
 kevin stephens 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Frank4short:

Did it just over a week ago, traversed more or less as far skiers' left as we could, abbed off a live tree with a convenient trombonesque bend in it, ab as just left (facing in) of some icefalls, ab was only needed to avoid a rock which a more skilful/confident skier could have jump turned over, then a bit of side slipping / ok skiing to get to the glacier, booted up to the hut and skied down to Chamonix
 Aly 08 Jan 2013
In reply to andy: I recently posted a description and linked to some photos of the exits to the PdC here if you're interested. If you have a rope, some common sense and good weather it'd be hard to go too far wrong.

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93449

andy 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Aly: yep, seen that thread - you photo link doesn't seem to work though.

The longish term weather forecast looks like it could be quite snowy next week so hopefully decent conditions (but possibly not good weather!). I'll get it (or something) done with a guide and then see whether I'm up for doing it again with mates some time. I'm sure we'd be fine, but as I've recently had a "special" birthday I thought I'd get myself some professional help! Hoping some of my mates will split the cost anyway, but if not - happy birthday to me!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...