UKC

2m Daisy Chain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LennyJ1 08 Jan 2013
What use is a 2m daisy chain, I understand why use a daisy chain but I saw one being sold on ebay and was thinking how would a 2 metre on be useful?
 steveej 08 Jan 2013
In reply to LennyJ1: useful for bigwalling
 nniff 08 Jan 2013
In reply to LennyJ1:

Good point - my arms aren't 2m long, and unless the tie in point is in the middle, the only thing i can think of is multiple tie-off points on a belay.
 David Coley 08 Jan 2013
In reply to LennyJ1: Can you remember who it was made by? Also was it a normal daisy or a PAS-like one? If the latter then the answer is that it would be used as follows:

1. clip say midpoint of daisy to first bolt and hang off it.
2. clip last but 1 link to second bolt.
3. hang reverso on a link between the two bolts
4. the last link is both the temporary attachment point for the second as she clips in to sort the rack out before heading off as the leader on the next pitch, and her Jesus piece.

This approach has been called a RUBB belay. It is normally done by extending a PAS with a 60cm sling. The 60cm being girth hitched to the climber.
OP LennyJ1 08 Jan 2013
would it be safe to use for jumaring? attach one end to the feet the other to the hand and the middle to the harness?
OP LennyJ1 08 Jan 2013
In reply to David Coley:

Thanks scratching my head abit but aprecheate the reply
 Hannes 08 Jan 2013
In reply to LennyJ1: You want long daisys when they tangle so you can still use them to the full stretch of your arms but I must say 2m sounds a bit excessive
 steveej 08 Jan 2013
In reply to LennyJ1: l'll expand my previous answer...

When on aid you need to test your placements before moving onto them. A dodgy placement, when you clip the daisy into it, you climb a lot lower down your previous aider to bounce test the dodgy piece.

That way, if it does rip you are closer to your last piece with less rope in the system, meaning you either don't fall very far or even at all.
 steveej 08 Jan 2013
In reply to steveej: the longer the daisy the further you can back down to bounce test at the hips
 steveej 08 Jan 2013
In reply to LennyJ1: in big walling its quite normal to have Daisy's that are longer than your arms for this reason, mind you 2 metres sound quite long.
 jimtitt 08 Jan 2013
In reply to LennyJ1:
Fish do one 6ft long, perhaps its one of theirs?
 David Coley 08 Jan 2013
In reply to jimtitt:
> (In reply to LennyJ1)
> Fish do one 6ft long, perhaps its one of theirs?

Which you can find here:
http://www.fishproducts.com/catalog/bigwall.html

nniff 09 Jan 2013
In reply to steveej:
>
> When on aid you need to test your placements before moving onto them. A dodgy placement, when you clip the daisy into it, you climb a lot lower down your previous aider to bounce test the dodgy piece.
>
> That way, if it does rip you are closer to your last piece with less rope in the system, meaning you either don't fall very far or even at all.

Ah. Penny drops. Clever chaps these foreigners !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...