UKC

La Grave Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ed 08 Jan 2013
Hi, does anyone know what conditions are like in La Grave - heading over there next week?
 Dave Williams 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Ed:

It's not looking good at the moment - "Le 04/01/2013. Quelques lignes sont en conditions, prenez garde avec ces températures bizarres." La Grave conditions haven't been updated since before Christmas, which may mean something, (or nothing. Who knows?) http://www.ice-fall.com/Page_Secteur.aspx?IdSecteur=45

However, no routes at La Grave have been recorded on Camp to Camp in the last few days. Again this may not mean anything, but instinctively, it doesn't bode well. http://www.camptocamp.org/portals/245232/en/camptocamp-ice

At least there's ice elsewhere - Ceillac for instance - so if it's poor in La Grave (it wasn't good there this time last year either) you may have to drive elsewhere. In addition to Ceillac, there's Fournel and Freissinières on the Briancon side of the massif, but from La Grave I'd first have a look up in Alpe D'Huez. It's high and can give good ice climbing conditions when nearby areas are poor (as was the case last January.)

HTH

Dave
 Morgan Woods 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave Williams:

Not much formed here at the moment apart from Pylone and one or two down at Freaux. Some guides did the Rateau the other day but this means catching a cable car. Very little in the Vallon de la Selle has formed. It has been sunny and relatively warm since new years but the skiing has been good, and some more snow may come on the weekend. I would be flexible and maybe think about doing some skiing as well. Ceillac may well be the best option but keep checking ice-fall.com for info.

I didn't see any ice in Alpe d'Huez either but not having climbed there before i wasn't sure where to look.
 GaryK 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Ed:

I posted a full description of what I did over there last week on the Expedition & Alpine Forum, and there are a few replies with more information. I hope it goes well for you.

Gary Kinsey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...