UKC

Classic summer glacier trek- Haute Route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chay 09 Jan 2013
Hi Guys,

I have all of June,July and August off and plan 14 days in the Alps; we plan on doing the Haute route (glacier/mountaineers) whilst we're there. My question is pretty simple:

When from your experiences is the best and most reliable time to do the route? Much of the information i've seen suggests July; does that tie in to your experiences? I'd be really interested in people that have done it multiple times/guides but all opinions welcome.

Thanks in advance,
GB
OP Chay 09 Jan 2013
In reply to GingerBread22: bump
 jon 09 Jan 2013
In reply to GingerBread22:

I've done it a number of times in summer. I can't recall the exact dates. However, if you are planning on going via Valsorey I'd recommend that you did it as early in the season as possible. The section of the route up to the Plateau du Couloir is absolutely deadly in dry conditions, so much so that after one very near miss I decided it was just too dangerous and decided to completely miss out the Valsorey and started going direct to the Chanrion from Mauvoisin. As far as weather is concerned, personally I don't think it make a whole lot of difference whether you go July or August, though some think otherwise (in favour of July).
Removed User 09 Jan 2013
In reply to jon:

There is the "walkers Haute Route" which avoids any glacier travel. I've done this with no probs.
 jon 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed User:

There is indeed. Not only does it avoid any glacier travel, it's a completely different route following footpaths well to the north. However, the OP specified the glacier route.
 Tom Briggs 10 Jan 2013
In reply to GingerBread22:

On thing to consider is how busy it will be in the huts. August is busier, with smaller huts like the Bertol being hard to book if you're on a 'standard' week. Set off from Chamonix on a Monday and it will be a lot quieter.
OP Chay 10 Jan 2013
In reply to jon: Thanks Jon, I think we're going to go for mid July...I've noted your advice about the plateau du couloir- tempted to give it a miss also?

As far as huts Tom, We're hoping to glacier camp for the most part to avoid Huts costs and improve the experience; we're all very fit so we think we can manage it..

GB
OP Chay 10 Jan 2013
In reply to GingerBread22: First two weeks in July! DONE! Thanks for all the advice guys.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...