UKC

hiking in northern Sweden

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 butlinpm 09 Jan 2013
I'm planning a hiking trip to northern Sweden, probably starting in Abisko or perhaps Nikkaluokta, as these are relatively easy to get to. So near the northern end of the King's Trail, but not necessarily on it - we would prefer a somewhat wilder experience. Has anyone done something similar before? I'm particularly interested to get more idea what the conditions will be like in June. We're thinking of going then to avoid the mosquitoes, but it might be a problem if there will still be a lot of snow on the ground, or river crossings would be very difficult. Thanks very much.
 MattJ753 09 Jan 2013
In reply to butlinpm: Go to Sarek! Unbelievably amazing place. As long as you want adventure as opposed to an easy ride. I can't wait to go back.
OP butlinpm 09 Jan 2013
In reply to MattJ753: Cool! What time of year were you there? How did you get there?
 jwi 09 Jan 2013
In reply to butlinpm: Sarek is wild and big. There might be some modern raindeer-hearding going on in the southern part (near Kvikkjokk). Maybe a hike from north (Stora Sjöfallet) to south (Kvikkjokk) could be an idea?

Below the tree line, there will be plenty of mosquitos and black flies all through summer, above the tree line almost none, except for very calm evenings.
Douglas Griffin 09 Jan 2013
In reply to butlinpm:

Sarek looks like an absolutely magnificent place.
http://www.naturvardsverket.se/en/In-English/Start/Enjoying-nature/National...

Was first alerted to it via the photography of Magnus Limdbom.
http://magnuslindbom.com/
 MattJ753 09 Jan 2013
In reply to butlinpm: i went end of july/august...loads of mossies, but thats part of the fun. i walked from kvikkock north through rapa valley then north to akka range. then cut back down padjelanta trail on the west then crossed sarek again from west to saltoluokta in the east. it is wild indeed but truly awesome. many mountains to be climbed or walked up too.

to get to kvikkjock was a flight to stockholm then 14 hours on train north, then a few hours on a bus...but all very do'able

you've got to be up for walking through cold rivers, plus a distinct lack of paths...but if you are you will love it

redsonja 09 Jan 2013
In reply to butlinpm: we were there in late june last year to climb kebnekaise. there was a lot of snow down to about 1000m- apparently this is quite unusual at this time of year. but the rivers wernt especially full as far as i can remember. there were few mosquitoes but nothing like we experienced in patagonia earlier in the year! skin so soft seems to repel them a bit, like midges. northern sweden is an absolutely stunning place- im sure you will love it
OP butlinpm 10 Jan 2013
In reply to butlinpm: Thanks very much, everyone, this is a great help. Anyone else?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...