UKC

Newc5DIII or used 1DsIII

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Currently have a 5Dii. Shoot landscape and indoor sports.

Money isn't an issue, save I can't afford a 1Dx.

What would you go for and why?

I've already heard of 5Diiis dying in rain, but the 1Dsiii isn't as well specced, and is huge. All my lenses are weather proof L's.

Dan Lane 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

What's wrong with your 5D mkii? Would a better use of the cash be on a nice new lens, or maybe a photographic trip of a lifetime?

Personally, i think i'd go with the 5D mkiii if i had to choose out of the two. My thinking being that because it's newer it's probably got better technology on the focus, noise reduction and processor fronts.
3414peterk 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Dan Lane: I'm in the market for a 5Dii (don't tell the wife!), so feel free to drop me a mail etc once you decide.
Cheers
P
 Nadir khan 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater: I'd go for the 5diii, even though mine did die in the rain , to be fair it was chucking and the spray from the river was giving it a good soaking from every angle . I looked at the 1dsiii but decided that for most of what i do i dont need the bulk of 1ds or 1dx . The 5diii is a significant improvement on the 5ii, being better at low light and 6fps rather than 3fps makes a difference for action shots . the price has come down a lot in the past few months for the 5iii, so more realistic than a 1dx.
In reply to Nadir khan:

Cheers Nadir. It was yours I rememember reading about dying.

I was surprised to see the 1Dsiii only goes to ISO 3200. That's probably clinched the 5Diii for me. You reckon it's safe to walk about in drizzle with one?

D
In reply to Dan Lane:

Not a lot, aside from AF for sports, which isn't the best.

Aside from that I want to spend my money on a new toy for me. I don't need any more lenses and I travel plenty.
 Nadir khan 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater: I think i was just unlucky , my 5ii had been through all sorts of crap with water coming out of the side ports and it was fine yet I've heard of other peoples 5ii dying in a drizzle . You'll be very happy with the 5iii, very sharp straight out of camera , sensitive autofocus even at the side points and great low light .
 jamesc88 11 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater: 5D III has same AF module as 1D X, just lacks the second AF sensor and processor. 5D III sensor is incredible, heaps better than a 1Ds III. 5D's weather sealing is specced the grade below a 1D XYZ but the grade above a Mk II (straight from Canon, not opinion) ISO performance of 5D Mk III is pretty great but weirdly the EOS 6D has been proven better for ultra high ISO use, astrophotographers are now all switching to 6D's, shame the build quality is absolute carp.

Water damage is a pretty cruel mistress but a carrier bag with an elastic band is a perfect rain coat
In reply to Dispater:

5Diii ordered tonight, and will arrive Wednesday.

To the guy that emailed me about my 5D ii, I will reply, just had a horrendous week. :-/
 Tom Last 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

What's the best price you found on one, if you don't mind me asking?
Davepacker 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

I would only go for the mark 5d mark 3 if you were shooting extensively indoors..

I use both for weddings and don't mind which one I use outdoors

Indoor ISO and focus is a huge improvement on the mark 3 and well worth the upgrade

Davepackerphotography
In reply to Southern Man:

I went with WEX, rather than a grey importer, for peace of mind.

£2315, but they had a special offer: Canon battery grip at half price (£150 instead of £300).

SRS Microsystems had the body for about £30 less (best price I found with a major dealer) but didn't have the offer on the grip.
In reply to Davepacker:

I shoot gymnastics indoor (daughter) and the ii just doesn't hack it.

It's not too good with a lunatic Springer Spaniel outdoors either.

For landscapes I don't expect much difference.
 Tom Last 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Dispater:

Thanks for that Dispater
 john arran 21 Jan 2013
In reply to 3414peterk:

You probably know already but the new 6D appears to be available already in the US and has a 1st March release date in the UK. May be worth considering if you haven't done so already.
In reply to john arran:

The 6D is in stock in John Lewis right now.
I had a lengthy fondle on Sunday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...