UKC

Training for a holiday?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 10 Jan 2013
How do you prepare for a climbing holiday?

I typically go away for a few weeks and have enough time to throw in a couple of rest days here and there but with shorter breaks it doesn't make as much sense. So how do you prepare for 5 days of climbing?

Currently I'm bouldering one or two times a week for 3+ hours and then having one or two sessions a week mucking about with ropes at a more gentle pace. How would you transform this into an El Chorro in April for a week plan? I assume working on stamina and recovery is going to be fairly critical. Any helpful hints?
 Skyfall 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent:

> So how do you prepare for 5 days of climbing?

Work myself ragged for the weeks running up to it, get off work the night before and get wasted at the relief of being off for a week, turn up at the airport knackered, hungover and unfit. And normally still carrying an injury from over-training a few months earlier.

I thought that was how most people prepared
OP Reach>Talent 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
I've already got that sorted, I can manage to turn up broken with very little effort!
 Joe G 10 Jan 2013
Sit in a comfy chair with a beer in one hand and the guidebook of where you're going in the other...
In reply to Joe G:
Wow, it is a really rare occasion when I'm the most focussed person in a conversation especially when it is on training!

Ian Patterson 10 Jan 2013
> How do you prepare for a climbing holiday?
>
> I typically go away for a few weeks and have enough time to throw in a couple of rest days here and there but with shorter breaks it doesn't make as much sense. So how do you prepare for 5 days of climbing?
>
I usually have a 5 1/2 day trip to Spain in spring each year. If weather plays ball etc I'll climb first afternoon then 2 full days followed by rest day and then finsh with 2 more full days before flying back late evening. I find that if I go beyond 3 days in a row climbing I'm on to diminishing returns so still find I get more out of a week trip if it includes a rest day. Usually spend the rest day having lie in / relaxed breakfast followed by checking out new crags and maybe a couple of very easy routes as active rest.

Skyfall 10 Jan 2013

More seriously, I try to train stamina running up to a week's sport climbing. As you say, a lot of bouldering and a bit of messing about with ropies won't prepare you for time working out the sequences on a long 30m+ pitch. It's probably a fault of my approach to climbing but I rarely find myself shut down technically on a sports route; it's generally the sustained nature of the climbing which does for me eventually.
 Jon Stewart 10 Jan 2013

I think just making sure you're in good shape is enough, if you want to have an enjoyable trip and do some good routes. If you're a bit more 'serious' i.e. having specific goals, you'd need to tailor your training to them (but that doesn't sound like a holiday to me "If I don't get my 7c redpoint project from last year it will be a wasted trip and I'll be depressed").

I guess you're sport climbing, so do lots of routes indoors, maybe mixing up sessions of stamina (e.g. 20 or 30 routes in blocks of 6/7) with some redpointing for PE. Building up a tiny bit more finger strength probably isn't time well spent (unless it's a really critical weakness I guess) so maybe replace some of the bouldering for more time with a rope on. But a bit of fingery bouldering now and then will keep your fingers strong.

As long as you're fit and enthusiastic and the routes are good you'll have a great time. Everywhere has different styles and its own take on the grading system so I think grade obsession is pretty unhelpful when going somewhere new. It could lead you to spending all week trying to redpoint the shittest route in the area just because it's a soft touch (aka completely wasting your time).

Look through the guides, get inspired, and make sure you're pretty fit - job done.
 Robert Durran 10 Jan 2013

It's a climbing trip, not a holiday. Have the correct attitude is a good start.
 Jon Stewart 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:
> (In reply to mkean)
>
> It's a climbing trip, not a holiday. Have the correct attitude is a good start.

Tongue in cheek? Correct attitude for what?
 iccy 10 Jan 2013

Climbing trips are different to climbing holidays.

Personally I'm a big fan of the holiday. This involves beers in the evening, sleeping in the morning and climbing the things I want to climb. Read the guide book, know your areas and pick things that you'll enjoy.

A climbing trip is much more focussed - less beer, early starts, specific/hard projects, days redpointing etc.

It all depends what oyu want to get out of it. Generally I boulder more that I climb with ropes, so in the run up to either a holiday or a trip I switch back to build more stamina, but usually only for a few weeks either before.
It's a climbing trip, not a holiday. Have the correct attitude is a good start.

This is definitely a climbing holiday; climbing trips involve tents in unsuitable weathers, holidays involve sun and a comfy bed.

The volume of climbing is pretty similar though.
 Nick Russell 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Ian Patterson:
> (In reply to mkean)
> [...]
> I find that if I go beyond 3 days in a row climbing I'm on to diminishing returns so still find I get more out of a week trip if it includes a rest day.

I agree with this. In terms of preparation, just switch one of your bouldering sessions for roped climbing and you'll be fine.
 UKB Shark 10 Jan 2013

Interval training.

For most probably doing laps leading on a climbing wall is best. Or better still a crag. Search 4x4's.

For experienced climbers who also don't have head problems then laps on a bouldering wall / systems board or woodie are just as good and in some ways better.
 Robert Durran 10 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
> This is definitely a climbing holiday; climbing trips involve tents in unsuitable weathers, holidays involve sun and a comfy bed.

Apologies. The emphasis on performane in your OP led me to assume it was really a climbing trip and I didn't think a holiday attitude was appropriate to optimisation of performance.
 Siderunner 13 Jan 2013
I tend to try and up the training volume about 4-5 weeks before a sport-climbing trip. I also try and red-point once a week to get my lead head together for that. Overall I find this base usually gives me enough to do 8-10 pitches a day with 3-4 of these hard burns.

To give you some more specific ideas, I mix up the following 3 stamina sessions on rope, aiming for at least 2 of these per week:

1. Roped laps, usually 3 sets of 4 laps is all I can do, with 30 - 90s between each lap and then about 10-15 mins off before the next set. I aim for decent quality here: routes at my o.s. grade (6b - 6b+) that I have to climb neatly to get up; ideally they are sustained rather than cruxy and the holds are smallish not massive jugs, reflecting what I find at most sport crags at my grade. This is a widely quoted method in training books and articles.

2. Descending pyramids. Roughly the same idea but with no rest and starting harder and getting easier as the pump sets in. I might do 6b, 6a+,6a, 5+. Doing this I can afford to get more pumped cos I can still keep going as the grades get easier.

3. UDU = up-down-up. This is designed to replicate a typical sport route in length and time, since 3 x 12m is about the 30m you need in Spain. Typically I will aim for two decent ups (o.s. grade or -1, 6b/+ for me) and an easy-ish down (5 or 5+). In my mind this replicates a long route with a hardish start, a recovery opportunity on some juggy climbing, and a tough finish. I try to do 6-10 of these in an evening, time and partner willing.
 Siderunner 13 Jan 2013
A very gentle last week before leaving always seems wise too, one or two easy sessions only, giving overuse symptoms a chance to back off a bit.

I also try to eat healthily ahead of the inevitable pigging out on holiday!
 nasher47 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Siderunner:

Second this.

It's really important to take at least 1 easy week right before your trip. I'm just back from having ticked my hardest problem in font ever (properly chuffed!) and I think it was partly due to the fact that I had rested properly before the trip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...