UKC

Swanage/Portland Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DreadyCraig 10 Jan 2013
I've seen reports of major seepage and landslides down Portland and Swanage way over the last couple of weeks.
Whats the chance on finding something dry to climb this Saturday?
 David Staples 10 Jan 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig: If it's raining not great . If it's cold, it should be ok. Just don't go on the West Coast, head to the cuttings or Neddyfields.
 The Ivanator 10 Jan 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig: Forecast is much better for Sunday (but COLD). Was thinking of heading to Dorset myself, with wind from the north the south facing cliffs should miss the worst of the chill. I was thinking in terms of things with relatively solid topouts and not vulnerable to mudslides, so perhaps a day at Sub (Swanage), usually I go for the bigger Swanage crags, but the top outs may well be less than ideal currently. Not sorted a partner yet, are you all set in that department Craig?
 jwhereat 10 Jan 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig:

We were down at reptile smile on saturday. Rock is clear but there are many rather large cracks running through the soil along the walk in, so that might be dangerous?

Sunday at the cuttings, which is fine.

Monday again at Blacknor, at the medusa falls area. Which is itself looking stable but to the right of medusa falls is a pretty high stack of loose soil.
OP DreadyCraig 11 Jan 2013
In reply to The Ivanator:
Annoyingly I'm only free on Saturday, and it's now forecast to rain on Sat, looks like my climbing has been washed out this weekend.
 Kevster 11 Jan 2013
In reply to jwhereat:

Not the first time large cracks have been there, infact I'd wager that they have been there for decades. When will it land slide is the question, equally this has also happened for years. They seem to appear when its been really wet.....

Is the west coast really claggy at the moment? i'd have thought it was a mud wallowing ordeal, though would like to be told otherwise as it opens up possibilities.
 LukeyG 11 Jan 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig: I hope people got out today weather looked perfect out! Heres hoping sunday is going to do the same
OP DreadyCraig 14 Jan 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig:
Going to try again for this weekend, my climbing buddy and I are thinking of trying the cuttings. What's The cuttings like for dryness at the mo??
 David Staples 15 Jan 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig: If this weather holds up until the weekend it will be very cold but dry. If your hands don't go numb before the top out you will be fine!
 The Ivanator 15 Jan 2013
In reply to David Staples: Worth keeping an eye on wind direction before choosing your crag. Last Sunday we felt quite comfy in the sun and sheltered from the North Easterly wind whilst climbing on the south facing Subluminal at Swanage, it was frickin' freezing up in the Durlston carpark though.
 dale1968 15 Jan 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig: been to cheyne wears today sunny and warm...
 jezb1 15 Jan 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig: was working at Hedbury. Nice and warm in the sun and most of the routes were dry
Bluecat 15 Jan 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig: Forecast for Sunday currently wet.... Though it will probably change at least five times before the weekend.
 LukeyG 15 Jan 2013

Tshirt weather at chenye today, untill we lost the sun!
 nealh 16 Jan 2013
In reply to LukeyG: thats just careless

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...