UKC

Concrete

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm going to put a shed on my garden, with part of it acting as a garage for my motorbike and all my gear, and the other part as a garden-office space.

it's going to be 20' long x 8' wide, split to give an 8 ft office, and a 12ft garage.

my query is about the slab. I was just going to shutter a box, 20'x8' and get a concrete truck in to pour it for me, but how thick should it be? would 1" be sufficient, or 2", or more? There's never going to be a great amount of load in there.

ta.
 JSA 10 Jan 2013
In reply to carrot_boy (North East Wales MC):

Minimum of 4" with some mesh in there too!
fxceltic 10 Jan 2013
In reply to carrot_boy (North East Wales MC): 1"???
that would quickly break up if you walked on it, never mind anything else.
fxceltic 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Radioactiveman:
> (In reply to carrot_boy (North East Wales MC))
>
> http://www.mixamate.co.uk/advantages-over-ready-mix/how-to-guides
>
> http://www.pavingexpert.com/concrete.htm
>
> google is your friend

+1 for advice provided by pavingexpert.com
fxceltic 10 Jan 2013
In reply to carrot_boy (North East Wales MC): make sure you give proper consideration to the ground conditions as well, by the way.

beth 10 Jan 2013
In reply to carrot_boy (North East Wales MC): Slab should be 4in thick at least not to crack up of its own accord. Preferably it should be dug out deeper with some hardcore in the bottom but if you're really not going to have any kind of weight on it well tamped down earth should be okay.
 JLS 10 Jan 2013

I'd go for 6" thick concrete with some mesh reinforcement near the top surface (30mm down). Also it is important to protect against frost heave by digging down at least 450 below ground level and replacing the removed earth with hardcore which wont expand with frost. You probably also want a sheet of heavy duty polythene under the slab for damp proofing.
In reply to carrot_boy (North East Wales MC): now I'm wondering if I just put a timber shed base in instead!!!
 DNS 10 Jan 2013

Tony Mc on Paving expert is where I would go for advice and I run a decent sized business in the paving sector.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...