Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Ordnance Survey launches new mapping app platform

Only a hill - on 11 Jan 2013
http://blog.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/2013/01/were-so-excited-our-app-launched-yesterday/

The debate about paper vs. digital mapping continues to rage, with valid arguments being made on both sides--but the consensus is very firmly on the side of paper maps and traditional compass skills for serious use. However, the OS clearly knows where the winds are blowing. The population is adopting smartphones and tablets at a rapid rate, and I think it's inevitable that an increasing number of people will seek to use then in the hills.

So what do we all think about this development? I think the OS are to be applauded for creating what looks like a useful digital mapping tool, but I don't think this will change the emphasis on paper mapping for the foreseeable future (until flexible and waterproof phones become mainstream at least, which might take two or three years).
... not showing 19 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums