UKC

Lake District winter walks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timcook207 11 Jan 2013
Hi,
Just wondering what people's favourite Lake District winter walks are that require nothing more than crampons and a mountaineering axe. I did scafell with a friend a few weeks ago when we had snow and now I'm addicted . With the prospect of more snow I was hoping for some good ideas of routes to do, obviously I realise that the conditions have to be right but just as a general what are people's thoughts?
 ablackett 12 Jan 2013
In reply to timcook207: Up Sharp Edge, Down Halls Fell Ridge on Blencathra. itS a scramble, and people do get stuck on Sharp Edge, so not for the totally inexperienced, but it is a classic day out.
Removed User 12 Jan 2013
Fairfield Horseshoe from Ambleside - that was my first experience of winter walking and learning to use an axe many years ago. Also like going up from Patterdale up Hartsop-above-How to Hart Crag and Fairfield and back down over St Sunday.
 Wainers44 12 Jan 2013
In reply to timcook207: A less obvious one is start at Overbeck Bridge (Wasdale), walk along Overbeck then Brimful Beck to Low Tarn. Ascend the ridge between Low Tarn and Scoat Tarn onto Red Pike. Then Red Pike, Scoat Fell, across to Steeple and back, Haycock, Then either Middle Fell (if time) or Ladcrag Beck and back down to Wasdale. Off the beaten track largely and a real sense of winter solitude (well, for the Lakes anyway!).
 Gael Force 16 Jan 2013
In reply to timcook207: Sharp Edge is not a good one to start on, bad advice there, give me a shout if you want some more detailed help.

martinph78 16 Jan 2013
In reply to timcook207: Head up towards Helvellyn. Loads of varied routes up and down there that can be adapted for time and conditions. Did Sticks Pass last weekend as the snow came in, made for a decent and easy enough day out.

Could have descended via swirrel edge but didn't have crampons/axe with us so gave it a miss (hadn't planned to do it that day anyway).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...