UKC

montserrat guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jbb 12 Jan 2013
i'm planning a few days climbing at Montserrat (Spain)later this year. |Does anyone know if there's an english language guidebook that covers it?
or for that matter do you have any advice about particular crags or areas, or a good place to base ourtselves.

i'm interested in single and multi pitch , probably mainly sport given the need to transport kit, but possibly trad (i think there's some trad there). When it comes to sport F6b is more or less my limit.

Any info appreciated.
ben
 John_Hat 12 Jan 2013
In reply to jbb:

The Monserratt Carre Sur guidebook is good, but out of print - however there's probably a few places which still have copies. Not in english though, but readily translatable.

About where to go, the area immediately above Colbato (a.k.a Village of the Damned) is a good introduction to Monserratt. Partking is convienient and easy, and fairly safe as I'm pretty sure Zombies don't drive.
OP jbb 12 Jan 2013
In reply to John_Hat: ta for the advice.
i can't resist a place called village of the Dammed. And i've always fancied myself in a zombie survival situation!

Anyone any oher suggestions for best-place-for-a-monserrat-newbie?
 HeMa 12 Jan 2013
In reply to jbb:
> Anyone any oher suggestions for best-place-for-a-monserrat-newbie?

Gorros has a pretty good reputation. You can get English download topos for a few quid per area. Google is your friend.

OP jbb 19 Jan 2013
In reply to HeMa: Nice one. I'll check out Gorros too. Ta.
martyn_lewis 20 Jan 2013
for sport climbing in collbato here is a link to all the topos

http://kpujo.com/catala/ressenyes/collbato/pagines/base.html#

theres also another new guide for montserrat south, but its in spanish unfortunately.

el vermell is kind of a classic area for sport and also can jorba, lots of crags there and multipitch routes aswell, all easily accessible from el bruc, the next town up from collbato, theres a lot of multipitch info on the web, but not knowing the area it might not provide of much use. They´re usually just topos with no access info etc. depends on what time of year your coming you could also head to the north side. the sport is a bit higher grade wise, buts lots of easy multipitches on magdalens inferior and el gorr frigi.

basing yourself in el bruc if you can is a good idea.

heres my email, shoot me a message if you want any more specific info.

martyn.lewis01@gmail.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...