UKC

Pen y Fan conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Valley Boy 3 12 Jan 2013
Any one with news on conditions on Pen y fan today?

Thanks
 alastairbegley 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Valley Boy 3:
I was hoping todo some winter walking tomorrow but from rainfall radars it seems that it's been pretty dry there today
 Giles Davis 12 Jan 2013

I was up there this afternoon. The freezing level was at about 650m and although the tops are rimmed up there was no snow (well, very light flurries). Quite disappointing as yesterday's Mountain Forecast stated possibility of significant accumulations.
 Run_Ross_Run 12 Jan 2013

Im up there tomor. Ill post some details when i get back
 Mark Morris 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Valley Boy 3: Turf not frozen in Hirwaun yet, a lot lower I know, but a good indicator.

OP Valley Boy 3 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Darren09: we are going tomorrow morning as well, had a text about a hour ago from a friend at it was snowing then, don't think it will come to much though!
OP Valley Boy 3 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Fuerteman: The forecast was looking good as well, it is disappointing!
 Webster 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Valley Boy 3: There may not be much snow but the forecast is for the temperatures to plumit over the next few days, and with no snow that should freeze the turf up nicely. could bode well for the weekend...
OP Valley Boy 3 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Webster: Just got back off Pen y Fan and there is a light dusting of snow over the summits and the turf up high was frozen at 07:30, it may thaw a bit with the sun on it through the day but was very cold up there early this morning. Let's see what this week brings us!!
 afshapes 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Valley Boy 3: turf pretty much frozen on top at 1pm , temp did rise a bit but started to snow lightly as we left at 3 pm
In reply to Valley Boy 3: Isn't the Fan about to get extremely busy for one day in particular quite soon?
OP Valley Boy 3 13 Jan 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: not sure, is it??
 Webster 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Valley Boy 3: any updates from yesterday/today with the snow/rain that came through...
OP Valley Boy 3 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Webster: there has been more snow up there since Sunday with more forecast for the end of the week, we will have to see what happens later in the week! You know what the weather forecasts are like but it's looking good so far.
 Mike7 15 Jan 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

I wouldn't worry about that.
 Adam T 19 Jan 2013
Any up dates?
OP Valley Boy 3 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Adam T: heading up at 06:00 in the morning to have a go at one of the routes on the NE face, so I will update tomorrow afternoon. I did have a report of deep snow in the gullys today on the face!
 Run_Ross_Run 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Valley Boy 3.

What gully was that?

Things were looking very lean this morn.

Hopefully a descent fall next week will improve things.

tipsy 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Valley Boy 3: New summary post up including an important notice from Dyfed Powys police. PLEASE READ. http://southwaleswinter.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1
OP Valley Boy 3 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Darren09: far right gully conditions this morning, plenty of snow but powdery, some good ice in places but turf not as frozen as I thought it would be, good fun climb though in some tough conditions!!
In reply to tipsy: ok thanks, will have a look.
 alastairbegley 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Valley Boy 3: not pen y fan but Torpantu

Just back from a brilliant day on Torpantu, low down was a bit thin but the main fall was in good shape, used snow chains to access the car park from talybont and wouldn't have been able to get up without them

http://www.masterplan-photography.co.uk/2013/01/ice-climbing-torpantu-falls
In reply to Foxy: awesome photos, looks like you had a great day!!
 dj rivum 21 Jan 2013
We also had a blast on Torpantau. First pitch needed a bit more of a freeze. We came in from Talybont and parked at the bottom car park using a 4x4 and it was ok.
 Ashley 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Foxy and dj rivum:

Would have bumped into you both there, my climbing partner and I were there too. We parked in the bottom carpark having approached from Talybont and put snow chains on for the last 3 miles as the road was just a sheet of ice.
 John Alcock 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Ashley: Some friends skied down of Pen Y Fan on Sunday. Looked a bit challenging. No sign of anyone topping out on the North Face.
 Kyle Warlow 22 Jan 2013
In reply to John Alcock:

Anybody know what the gullies are like at the minute?

Cheers,

K
 Ander 22 Jan 2013
In reply to K.W.:

Probably full of fresh snow. Best avoided!
 Kyle Warlow 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Ander:

Probably so. A man can hope though!
 alastairbegley 23 Jan 2013
Climbing at Craig Cerrig-gleisiad and Craig y Fro on Wednesday: http://www.masterplan-photography.co.uk/2013/01/ice-climbing-craig-cerriggl...
 Stone Muppet 25 Jan 2013
Plenty of people on the gullies yesterday. Tomorrow they may or may not still be in nick.
 Adam T 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Valley Boy 3: Did anybody get out on Pen-Y-Fan today. I am heading over for a walk tomorrow and wondering if its worth taking the axes for a go at some of the gullys, or do i leave them at home?

Cheers
Adam
 MJ 27 Jan 2013
In reply to the Thread in General:

Is Pen Y Fan, Cribyn etc still likely to be nice and white on Sunday. Wouldn't mind taking a trip for purely photographic reasons - as long as it looks pretty, I'll be happy!
Additionally, what's the road conditions like up to the Upper Neuadd?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...