UKC

Big light or main light?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi Folks,
My wife and I are having a bit of banter about what the light in the centre of a room is. I think that it is the big light, she thinks it should be the main light. Who is right, discuss!
 Andrew.Davies 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Big Jim The Climber: Its the Ceiling Light
In reply to Andrew.Davies: A new contender,not sure we can cope with that!
 Redsetter 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Big Jim The Climber: hmm this sounds peter kay territory !!! the correct terminology would be a ceiling pendant, refering to the type of fitting, this is often the "main light in a room, and due to its position and light output it would be fair to say it outputs a "big " amount of light !
 oddtoast 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Big Jim The Climber: of course it's the big light! She's not southern is she?
 Clarence 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Big Jim The Climber:

Such displays of middle class profligacy! In my hovel it is "the lightbulb" or in certain rooms, "the candle". I don't actually have any rooms with more than one bulb.
In reply to oddtoast:
> (In reply to Big Jim The Climber) of course it's the big light! She's not southern is she?

I am afraid she is, even worse I have been exiled to the south for my crimes.
ceri 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Big Jim The Climber: I'd always assumed it was "the light"... Any others (if you are that flash) are probably "lamps".
 toad 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Redsetter: Big Light. For all his faults, Peter Kay is bang on with the observational stuff. I'm from about 10 miles from where he's from and it's quite uncanny. Not always funny, mind
 ranger*goy 13 Jan 2013

Put big light on!
 Milesy 13 Jan 2013
Definately the big light.
 kingholmesy 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Milesy:

The main light obviously. Calling it the big light makes you sound like a five year old.
 coinneach 13 Jan 2013
In reply to kingholmesy:

Big Light !

Poo to you kingholmesy
 tlm 13 Jan 2013

Do you call them big jobs too?
 philpdr 13 Jan 2013
In reply to kingholmesy:Correct!!That'll teach them.
 Milesy 13 Jan 2013
In reply to kingholmesy:
> (In reply to Milesy)
>
> The main light obviously. Calling it the big light makes you sound like a five year old.

Not if you live in Scotland. The Big Light is generally the phrase used by most people.
 Postmanpat 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Milesy:
> (In reply to kingholmesy)
> [...]
>
> Not if you live in Scotland. The Big Light is generally the phrase used by most people.

Case proven.
 kwoods 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Big Jim The Climber: Another for big light
Jim C 13 Jan 2013
In reply to kwoods:

me too, another vote for BIG light from Scotland.

Surprisingly, we cannot seem to claim we invented this one!
In reply to Big Jim The Climber: It's definitely the big light. I'm not allowed to have the big light on, i have to put up with a floor lamp and a table lamp, apparently the big light is too bright so i have to put up with living in what is virtually a cave and if i want to read we now have another floor mounted light that can be used for reading and knitting by. Three lights burning at the same time when one would do more than adequately seems a bit of overkill to me. Ps. don't get me started on bloody candles.
Jim C 14 Jan 2013
In reply to jonathan shepherd:
> (In reply to Big Jim The Climber) It's definitely the big light. I'm not allowed to have the big light on, i have to put up with a floor lamp and a table lamp, apparently the big light is too bright .......

I would, without letting on, replace the table light with one of those useless new bulbs, of an 'equivalent' wattage , then , again without letting on, reduce the wattage, you will soon be getting asked to put the big light on( or maybe make them an appointment at the optician
 Enty 14 Jan 2013

Father in Law comes in and (always) says "Is there a plane about to come in?
Because someone left the bloody landing light on!"

Big Light by the way.

E
 krikoman 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Big Jim The Climber: Big light too
 Alyson 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Big Jim The Climber: I'm northern but I'd still say main light, probably because my parents do. The light on the ceiling is not bigger than any other light. It does not contain some kind of balloon-sized lightbulb, just the regular size of lightbulb as enjoyed by other side lamps.
Sarah G 14 Jan 2013
Big light.

brought up in deepest Lincolnshire, father a mackem.

Sx
In reply to Jim C:
> (In reply to jonathan shepherd)
> [...]
>
> I would, without letting on, replace the table light with one of those useless new bulbs, of an 'equivalent' wattage , then , again without letting on, reduce the wattage.

Already have those in but the reducing wattage idea is a good one, i might try that.

Rollo 14 Jan 2013

We call it "the light"

the little lights are "the sexy lights"
 EeeByGum 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Big Jim The Climber: Definitely big light.
 Yanis Nayu 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Big Jim The Climber: Big light - said in a Bolton accent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...