UKC

bianchi nirone 7

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jamesg85 13 Jan 2013
I'm thinking about getting a new road bike as the one I currently use is over 10 years old and is I think too small for me now. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Bianchi Nirone 7 Sora? I really like it from seeing it on a local bike shop's website and am pretty set on it but thought I'd get some opinions first. Thanks
 sleavesley 13 Jan 2013
In reply to jamesgreenfield: it's a good bike in my opinion (i ride one). Dependent on the price is can be you pay for the name over similar spec bikes. The frame is shared with all of the other bikes with group sets, wheels etc changing, so you have a good frame from which you can upgrade as you replace parts or see them on offer.
It's not the lightest as standard and upgrading wheels will help.
It doesn't have eyelets for fixed mudguards for winter.
Overall it's a well made bike that looks good and may make you stick out from the rest on their giants, felt etc.
Out of interest how much are you paying and how tall are you (sizing).
OP jamesg85 13 Jan 2013
In reply to sleavesley: I'd be paying £725 for one which has sora derailleurs and shifters and tiagra cassette 12-27t. As regards the 9spd 12-27t cassette is that ok to get up reasonably steep hills? I had real problems with my old bike, I wasn't unfit but I had to use the easiest gear every time, even on modest inclines. As regards my height I'm 5ft 4". Thanks
 sleavesley 13 Jan 2013
In reply to jamesgreenfield: yeah that's fine for getting up hills, or you could look at a triple if your really concerned.
The bianchi has a good pedigree, although you can get better spec bikes for the same money or a little more. If your worried about the cassette size £35-£45 will get you an upgrade from a 12-25t to something like a 11-28t.
Have a look at the bike spec below as a comparison to e Bianchi. I think these are all ten speed as well, which may make upgrades easier.
The giants have a good spec and you can either go aluminium or carbon for a little more money! The felt will be similar to the bianchi but with 105 group set.
If your going to pursue it I'd get one of these, if not spare some money and get the Raleigh airlite or someone will be along to tell you about decathlon bikes.
As long as you like it and it fits is the main criteria, plus you may want to support your local bike shop.
There are some good priced Eddy Mercx bikes on chain reaction cycles and have a compact or triple option too.
Not trying to put you off th bianchi, but think you could get more for your money.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f75-2012/ in 51cm

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giant-tcr-1-compact-2012/ in small

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giant-tcr-composite-3-2012/ in small

sleavesley 13 Jan 2013
In reply to jamesgreenfield: sorry the geometry of the tcr will be similar to the Bianchi and the felt and composite a bit more racing oriented!
OP jamesg85 13 Jan 2013
In reply to sleavesley: Thanks very much for the info. I like the felt, it's really light too. I would like to support my local bike shop and definitely want to have it fitted properly rather than order it online. Perhaps they could get other bikes in, but at a higher cost than the wiggle price probably.
 sleavesley 13 Jan 2013
In reply to jamesgreenfield: Yeah that is the premium you pay I'm afraid.
I wouldn't be too concerned about ordering it online, you could always purchase the bike elsewhere and then pay for a professional fitting, if they don't sell a bike that you want to consider.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO try this and then see how it compares with the main aspects of the bike you are purchasing.
OP jamesg85 13 Jan 2013
In reply to sleavesley: thanks that's very useful, have you got any idea of the wwight of the bianchi via nirone 7 sora? I like the idea of having a lighter bike, my current bike is 10kg.
 sleavesley 13 Jan 2013
In reply to jamesgreenfield: About 9.4kg with a set of keo look pedals and no other add ons (bottle cage and bottles etc) according to one source on bike radar!
 balmybaldwin 13 Jan 2013
In reply to jamesgreenfield:
> (In reply to sleavesley) I'd be paying £725 for one which has sora derailleurs and shifters

Do Sora still have that little lever on the side for the down shift rather than proper levers? If so I'd look to upgrade these asap or chose the SRAM/Campag option at the same price point id there is one - as you can't reach the lever from the drops, and for some people it's a struggle from the hoods (they may of course have got ride of them by now anyway
 sleavesley 13 Jan 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin: st3500 sora are 9 speed shifters without the thumb down shift.
OP jamesg85 13 Jan 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin: I'm not sure about that, it is slightly annoying yes, I've got 11 year old sora on my old bike and it's not the best system although I don't mind it too much. I'll see if there is a sram/campag option, thanks
OP jamesg85 13 Jan 2013
In reply to sleavesley: ah ok, thanks, so not the lightest bike around but not too heavy
 Jim Hamilton 13 Jan 2013

I remember taking a quick spin on one at Evans and thought it a bit of a boneshaker, although perhaps a little unfair as comparing it with their cheaper carbon bikes.

All Campag shifters (apart from the electronic ones) have a thumb lever. I dont have a problem reaching them from the drops and I don't have big hands.
 dale1968 13 Jan 2013
In reply to jamesgreenfield: Had two Bianchi's and toured/raced/TT's on them, good Italian bikes
OP jamesg85 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Lord of Starkness: I've got really old Sora and whilst I can't reach the thumb levers from the drops it doesn't overly bother me. Also according to sleavesly the new sora doesn't have the thumb shifters.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...