UKC

Road tyres

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Looking for recommendations for road tyres. Basic requirements: clinchers not tubs; probably 700x23C; I'm (ahem) 90Kg so need to be reasonably sturdy; rims are Mavic Open Pro. My main riding is club riding and sportives. Road surfaces are the usual north of England mixture.

Currently considering the Continental GP4000; Schwalbe Ultremo ZX or the Michelin Pro 4. Any personal experience of any of these or others would be welcome.

ALC
 sleavesley 13 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Currently ride with the continental Force/Attack combo (24mm rear and 22mm front) and am impressed with durability and speed, had no issues with punctures either with none to report in about 1500 miles. Still life in the tyres and good handling.

I have had Vittoria Open Corsa Evo and wasn't impressed with them, didn't last at all (1500 miles and crap in the wet), although they may have good grip in the dry etc I wouldn't be rushing to part with my money for them over the attack/force combo.

Have had others that came with the wheel but quite happy with continentals. I know the Michelin Pro have had good reviews too.

Had a friend who had the Schwalbe but had a few punctures so swapped to GP4000.
 Rog Wilko 13 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: I've been pleased with Continental Gatorskin. Good quality rubber and wear-resistant sidewalls give you confidence
 rockandroad 13 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:
Got continental gp4000 on mine and very happy. Great grip in the wet (even in the snow today), durable, no punctures and fast!
 balmybaldwin 13 Jan 2013

Cant go wrong with gp4000s me and a friend did lejog and a lot of training last year, not one puncture between us in over 4000 miles, and they last well too tons of grip, and they roll well

If you want something a bit more winter orientated the gp4seasons are good too all though I havent done so many miles on them
 sleavesley 13 Jan 2013
In reply to sleavesley: I should add I am near enough the same weight as you too.
 Baron Weasel 13 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: I have Conti 4000s 700x23 and will buy the same again. I am Lakes based and run them at 80 and 90psi and get a good ride despite the state of some of the roads.

BW
 Baron Weasel 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Baron Weasel: I'm just under 12st btw.
 VS4b 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Baron Weasel:
Conti gp4000s for me. Roll smoothly, wear well, grippy. Generally hard to fault especially now they're available for sub£30 a tyre. .
 Liam M 13 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: I'm currently using Conti GP4000s on my good bike, without any trouble from a few hundred miles.

I'd previously used Michelin Race Pro3 and preferred them when new (preferred the acceleration and cornering feel) but they quickly went down hill and whilst didn't lose feel became very susceptible to puncturing or losing pressure. Given that I found that at less than 2/3 of your weight, unless you're racing, if the Pro4s are similar they may be an expensive and frustrating option.
 mattbell 13 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: vredestein fortezza tricomp. Well worth a look. Also they are pretty cheap if you shop around!
Aberdeen Rambler 14 Jan 2013

I have to join the GP4000 fan club. Last Season I "upgraded" to Michelin Pro4 in May (day before the Etape- I got a slow puncture at the end). I had about 6 punctures in 3 months. Friends recommended the GP4000 so I changed over in August and have only had one puncture - they have good grip, the only adverse thought is that they are a wee bit heavier than the Pro4.... But quite frankly I am weighing in at 86kg so I am clutching at straws in blaming the tyre weight!
 Guy 14 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: seriously consider 25mm tyres especially in winter, more comfortable, bigger contact patch and barely noticeable weight penalty. GP4000's are nice and I like the Pro 4's. I have put more than 4000miles in on a Pro3.
 PeterM 14 Jan 2013

Conti Gatorskin or the Grand Prix 4 Season seem to do the trick. Very robust.
 LastBoyScout 14 Jan 2013
In reply to mattbell:
> (In reply to a lakeland climber) vredestein fortezza tricomp. Well worth a look. Also they are pretty cheap if you shop around!

Have them on my good wheels.

Otherwise, I've got GommeItalia somethings on my training wheels and can't fault them - no punctures so far.

Vittoria Rubino on my hack bike and no punctures in several years of riding in all weathers and all surfaces, apart from one snakebite which was my own fault for bashing up a curb when they were a bit soft.

Also got Panaracer Extreme Dura and they're very good, too - I'm a big fan of Panaracer generally.
 Rollo 14 Jan 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout:

GP 4 Season, 25s for winter
GP4000s 23s or 23/25 combo in summer

If one tyre all year round then one of the above two depending on whether you want to focus on speed or grip/puncture resistance.
 Nick Saunders 14 Jan 2013

I am a big Schwalbe fan, but I don't think anyone could describe the Ultremo as 'sturdy'. I use them in summer and really like the feel and handling but they are not the most durable - if you use them over winter you will destroy them pretty quick. I like the Durano S for winter (the Durano is even more durable but I have never found necessary). Hope this helps
 Guy 14 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Michelin Lithium 2's are a good option for winter, a bit sturdier than the Pro4s and still reasonably grippy.
In reply to Guy:

These are for my summer wheels rather than for the moment - looking at Schwalbe studded for the conditions outside at the moment!

Looks like the Contis are worth considering.

ALC
 Guy 14 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: still think about 25mm for summer, there really aren't any downsides to them apart from a few grammes rotational mass but they corner better and give a plusher ride on our rubbish roads.
 Guy 14 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Walsh PB's for the conditions at the moment!
 r0b 14 Jan 2013

Michelin Pro 4 Endurance. These have replaced the Krylion Carbon which I found to be a good hard wearing but reasonably quick rolling tyre.
In reply to r0b:

Just seen in the current Cycling Weekly that the Michelin Pro 4 Grip are now available and reckoned to be good for UK winter conditions.

Ooh, choices.

ALC
Rigid Raider 14 Jan 2013

I've done over 5000 miles on Michelin Pro 3s and like them very much. The only puncture I've had was due to nail sabotage on a sportiff ride. They are super comfortable and with latex inners they are even better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...