UKC

CV Format

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew.Davies 14 Jan 2013
I'm now back on the job hunt through no fault of my own.

As a Open Office user it seems that sometimes the formatting doesn't quite work when opened in Word.

Is sending out CV's in PDF a reasonable thing to do or will HR types turn their noses up at this?
 EeeByGum 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Andrew.Davies: Seems reasonable to me. As long as they can easily print it out.
 frqnt 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Andrew.Davies:

I like to send PDF as it guarantees formatting is retained, as you've stated. But if you're going through an agent, they'll most likely want to remove your personal details and add their letterhead so they won't accept PDF.
OP Andrew.Davies 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Andrew.Davies: Cheers. Just got to get doing it now.
 lost1977 14 Jan 2013

thanks for pointing this out my cv was done in open office and now i'm concerned (problem is jobsearch direct you cant upload pdf's)
 Ava Adore 14 Jan 2013

If sending to an agency, you can always send two versions - one for them with all your contact details on and one with all that removed (although worth finding out exactly what they would want retained)
 Philip 14 Jan 2013
In reply to lost1977:

The only time I've given up trying to read a CV is when it required signing up to be there friend on some document sharing website. I think they were trying to be clever. Our secretary wrote back and asked for a doc or pdf.

I only use openoffice at work but I send things as PDF to be sure of formatting.

Also, one of the job sites - can't remember which, is really crap for the auto cover letter it sends. I put an advert out and got about 200 applicants. Most had stored a profile and this produced a cover summary. If when they first registered they were looking for something specific like forklift driving, admin role, biochemical research but had now broadened their searching the cover letter still put "Looking for : xxx". Which left me with an easy way to cull the 200 - thrown out those who didn't update their profile. As it was, I skimmed all 200, but not everyone will.
OP Andrew.Davies 14 Jan 2013
In reply to lost1977: The problem is Jobsearch Direct is pants!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...