/ What makes a good bouldering shot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tscoobydoo - on 14 Jan 2013
Hi All

Ive been doing a fair bit of bouldering lately so getting lots of photos but it seems its really hard to get a five star picture, When in the mountains normally the simpleist of pictures will make an amazing picture, but after looking through the bouldering pictures on here there arent many at 5 stars, just any tips or your thoughts on how I can improve when taking pictures of bouldering and what people look for.

Tommy
Durbs on 14 Jan 2013
In reply to tscoobydoo:

Arty-farty answer, but think about what makes bouldering great, then try and capture it.

The location, the camradery (or solo project working), the difficulty of pulling REALLY hard (facial expression), crazy angles/body positions...
The Ivanator - on 14 Jan 2013
In reply to tscoobydoo: Take the photo from an angle that makes it look like the climber is on a proper crag not an insignificant pebble. ;-)
davidbeynon - on 14 Jan 2013
In reply to tscoobydoo:

For a good bouldering shot I like to turn up the night before, find a well hidden spot with a good view of the routes, cover myself in camouflage netting and wait for the boulderers to arrive.

It is vital to get it right first time, as they have a tendency to scatter.
jonathan shepherd - on 14 Jan 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: I couldn't agree more, you don't want to startle them, i find if you scatter a few power bars around the base of the problem it tends to keep them interested.
The Pylon King on 14 Jan 2013
In reply to tscoobydoo:

Girls
Sean Bell - on 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:
> (In reply to tscoobydoo)
>
> Girls

Correct.

John W - on 14 Jan 2013
In reply to tscoobydoo:

Right between the eyeballs with a bolt action Lee Enfield .303 from 500 yards?
John W - on 14 Jan 2013
In reply to John W:

Or alternatively - girls.
JDOD on 14 Jan 2013
In reply to John W:
I am a big fan of Bikini Boulderers
Lizzz - on 14 Jan 2013
In reply to tscoobydoo:

Get the face in the picture, the back of a persons head just isnt that interesting... focusing on the eyes usually works well, but might require you to find a good (safe!) place up above the climber, or diagonally up so that you aren't risking dropping stuff on them.
An uncluttered background is good, so clear away bags/hats/jackets/sandwiches/random shoes that might sneak into the shot.

Then just take lots and lots until you get a cracker!
tscoobydoo - on 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Lizzz:
Thanks Lizz for the useful information.. and all the other comments for making me giggle, unfourtanatley i dont have many girl climbing friends.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.